Grasshopper Cottage is an ideal base for fly fishing for wild brown trout on Lough Corrib. For non-fishers, relax, go walking, explore the countryside, discover the wildflowers.
Proprietors Roy and Sorcha Peirce have been welcoming visitors to their home for over 20 years and their knowledge and experience of angling in the region brings guests back year after year.
The house opens March 20 each year and closes on September 30. There are 4 guest rooms accommodating a maximum of 8-9 guests.
Warm Irish welcome, fantastic lake views, bedrooms en-suite, central heating, open fire, home cooking. Rod room with rod racks, drying room, tackle hire, flies for sale. Local knowledge of where to fish. Fly-tying desk for guests use. Library of periodicals, books, videos. Walking/Flora guide books, maps.
Nearby attractions and activities:
* Walking - Take a ramble to down the Dooras pensinsula or explore the woodlands in Clonbur and Cong. Walk the old road "Siúlóid Bhinn Shléibhe" from Corr na Móna to Clonbur. Climb Mt. Gable (Binn Shléibhe) for fantastic views in all directions or head for the Joyce Country or Maumturk mountains. Historical walks available with local guide.
* Heritage & Culture - 5th century monastic ruins, Ross Abbey, Cillín (children's burial grounds), holy wells, traditional Irish music, working sheepdog demonstrations.
* Wildflowers - Discover the variety of flora in the area.
* Golf - 18 hole courses at Ballinrobe. 9 hole course in Cong, also mini-golf.
* Horse Riding - Treks, lessons, trails at Ashford Equestrian Centre, Cong. Horse racing in Ballinrobe and Galway.
* Boat trips - Visit Inchagoill on Lough Corrib. Cruise Killary Harbour. Take the ferry to the offshore islands of Inisboffin, Aran Islands and experience their wild beauty.
* Cycling - Cycle the ’Joyce Country Drive’. Local bike hire and tours can be arranged.
* Canoeing, Orienteering, Windsurfing etc. - all on offer at Petersburg Outdoor Education Centre, Clonbur.
* Visit Connemara - Kylemore Abbey and Gardens, Connemara National Park.
*Shopping - Clifden, Westport, Galway.
60 km north of Galway city. N84 Galway/Headford. R334 Headford/Cross. R345 Cross/Cong. R345 Cong/Corr na Móna (16km/10m).Signposted in village.
Payment of deposit required to secure booking. Payment methods accepted:Visa, Mastercard, PayPal. Deposits paid for bookings in May are non-refundable on cancellation. Check-out by 11am; check-in after 4pm (unless special arrangement made). No smoking in bedrooms/dining area. Dogs allowed.
2013 FISHING PACKAGE - 20 March-27 April; 20 May-6 Jun; 1-30 September
3 nights B&B, 2 days boat & engine hire, 2 packed lunches = €150/person sharing
2013 SUMMER SPECIAL
3 nights B&B, 2 packed lunches = €105/person (July/August)
Prices quoted are per person based on two persons sharing a room. Single occupancy room rates on application.
Joined InfoHub: May 2005
Client Request Served: 91
Escape from the hustle of modern life, come to M13708 with rod and reel and enjoy the experience of fishing on Lough Corrib, the West of Ireland's largest wild brown trout fishery. Fly fishing is the speciality of the house. Roy and Sorcha have been welcoming anglers and non-anglers to their home on the shores of...
View this supplier profile | Submit your review
Please take this quick survey and tell us, in your opinion, how original is this trip?
Email it to a friend:
Click here to email this vacation to a friend
|Check out these similar vacation offers: