Visit an internationally renowned research center La Selva Biological Station, at the confluence of two major rivers in the Caribbean lowlands of northern Costa Rica. La Selva comprises 1,600 hectares (3,900 acres) of tropical wet forests and disturbed lands.
This reserve, consisting of both La Selva's protected environs and the Braulio Carrillo National Park, has four major tropical life zones and protects a large portion of Costa Rica’s biodiversity including more than half of the 886 species of birds, home to 1850 species of vascular plant flora, thousand of mammals, reptiles, insects and amphibians.
- We offer cabins equipped with twin beds, private bath, fan, and balcony. We also have family houses totally equipped with kitchen, two rooms, private bath, and terrace; and dormitory-style rooms
with bunk beds, and shared bath.
- We offer set meals in a buffet style service. Vegetarian food is a daily option. Box lunches are also offered.
- Gift Shop, Library, Laundry and an Academic Center.
- Half Day and Full Day Guided walks
- Early Birding Tour
- Night Tour
- Rainforest Photography Workshop
- Workshop Birding 101
- Boat tours
- Educational trips.
Nearby attractions and activities:
- White water rafting Sarapiquí or Pacuare River
- Chocolate Tour
- Pinneaple Tour
- Canoe Rides
- Butterfly Garden
- Frog and Snake Gardens
- Horse back riding
- Canopy and rapel.
Location: Puerto Viejo de Sarapiquí, Heredia, Costa Rica.
Distance from San José: 1.5 hr, 80km.
Direct deposits in USA:
- Please make checks payable to Organization for Tropical Studies
- To the following address: OTS North American Headquarters
P.O. Box 90630, Durham North Carolina, 27708-0630, USA
- Major credit cards are accepted: Visa, Master Card, American Express.
- Cancellation Policy for Individuals: Overnight Natural History Visitors and Day.
- Visitors: for full refund, cancellation must be made within 48 hours prior to arrival date, 50% refund if cancellation is made 24hrs prior to arrival date. No refund is made if less than 24hrs. Refunds will be made by the same means that the payment was done.
- Our dinning facilities serve meals according to a schedule and to the number of people expected to attend to each service. Please provide us with your arrival time so that we can serve you better:
Breakfast: 6:30 a.m. to 7:30 a.m., Lunch: 12:00 a.m.to 1:00 p.m., Dinner: 6:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m.
- The use of sandals or walking barefooted is not permitted on the trails for safety reasons. Entrance might be prohibited by the administration of the station if this rule is not follow.
- Manipulating species (fl ora and fauna) is not allowed in our biological stations for both conservation and safety reasons.
- Children must come accompanied by a responsible adult that must supervise them at all times.
Things to take: Prescription medicines as needed, good walking shoes, hot weather clothes, insect repellent, umbrella or rain jacket, flashlight, binoculars, sun screen, film and camera extra batteries, plastic bags to keep film/paper dry.
10% discount for InfoHub customer. Request a free gift certificate.
- 3 meals
- One half day guided walks.
Note: Also available day tours.
||Location: Costa Rica
Joined InfoHub: Dec 2002
Client Request Served: 134
M11487 is a non-profit consortium that has grown to include 63 universities and research institutions from the United States, Latin America and Australia. In the early 1960's, scientists from U.S. universities forged working relationships with colleagues at the Universidad de Costa Rica in the interest of...
View this supplier profile | Submit your review
Please take this quick survey and tell us, in your opinion, how original is this trip?
Email it to a friend:
Click here to email this vacation to a friend
|Check out these similar vacation offers: