Designed by Neil Rocher, this stunning private house is situated on Robin Pope's Nkwali land, approximately 1 km from camp. The super structure of the house is twenty five ancient and weathered leadwood trees ; powerful and natural. The entrance side of the house is grand, castlesque and is exquisitely faced with stones from the hills. The massive door opens into the huge main room and instantly you see incredible views through the front of the house which is completely open. Built on the edge of a seasonal lagoon and with a backdrop of the Chindeni Hills the game, including herds of elephants and journeys of giraffe, use this area to feed and water throughout the day.
So outwardly the house has a traditional feel. However, venture inside and you find that each room has a totally individual and unique style. The sizeable living room is dominated by large comfy sofas and a huge marble dining table. The room stretches up two storeys, some twelve meters, to the thatched roof with wooden staircases rising out of the floor to take you to the upstairs bedrooms. Much of the fittings are hand made metalwork, designed by Matt Peacock, including a huge thirty lamp metal chandelier. The open front of the room leads out onto a quartz tiled terrace with large plunge pool to one side.
From this terrace a magnificent risen walkway leads to a wooden deck surrounding a small group of huge ebony trees in the middle of the lagoon. There is a large leather sofa, and a hanging chair plus dining table and chairs for al fresco meals. From here the waterhole is nearby, and sitting quietly you will be close to families of elephant that come to bathe.
Each of the four bedrooms has a style of its own. Extra large beds, both king size or twin fit into each room under one mosquito net. There is a wooden ceiling fan inside each net. The beds have all been designed differently, from two poster beds to beds suspended by chains from the roof. The materials used in the bedrooms are hand painted and specifically designed, made locally at Tribal Textiles. Each bathroom has a different theme for the fittings, reflecting the colours of the rooms. From copper for the Coral room; (including a hand made copper bath) to recycled sandblasted aluminium in the Blue Agate; bedroom. These fittings have been matched with unusual pieces of Zambian marble hand picked by Jo and Robin.
The upstairs rooms have a suspended wooden balcony, where you can sit out at night with a moonlit view over the bush to the distant hills. The downstairs bedrooms each have a private tiled verandah with large morris chairs for quiet moments.
- Uniquely designed private house for up to eight guests
- Four large ensuite bedrooms, massive dining/sitting area
- Swimming pool and platform
- All activities are exclusive to the house guests
- Open all year
- Private vehicles, guides and armed scout for walking safari
- The private chef and house manager will discuss menu planning for the stay
- Activities and meals will be designed to suit the individual group requirements
- Equally suitable for families and groups (min age 7)
- Wide range of hosted activities for children, independent of parents, (with child minder available)
Nearby attractions and activities:
- Across the river from South Luangwa National Park, guests are transported by boat or pontoon across the river from camp to maximize game viewing time
- Guests also have the opportunity to visit Kawaza Village for the day, or even to spend the night, to get a taste of local Kunda culture.
Luangwa Safari House is located 1.5 hour from Lusaka by air to Mfuwe, and 45 minutes from the Mfuwe Airport
- Children 7 years and older
- Payment: 25% deposit to confirm booking, full payment 30 days prior to travel
- Cancellation: 90-31 days, 25% cancellation fee; 30-0 days, 100% cancellation fee
- Full board
- Bar, laundry service
- National park fees
- Game viewing
- Transfers to/from Mfuwe Airport
About This Supplier
Joined InfoHub: Dec 2006
M15549 offers the best Zambia safaris - with private walking safaris, exclusive game lodges and some of the finest luxury houses in Africa. Founded in 1986, we operate in the unspoilt South Luangwa National Park in Zambia, home to one of the greatest collections of wildlife in the world - including leopard, lion,...
View this supplier profile | Submit your review
Email it to a friend:
Click here to email this vacation to a friend
|Check out these similar vacation offers: