Located one hours drive south west from Cairns City, nestled amongst Mabi rain forest and Halloran's Hill Environmental Park. The award winning, Summit Rain forest Retreat, offers a 1 bedroom apartment, or 5 bedroom holiday house with conference room facility, on the Atherton Tablelands, in a luxurious setting, for you and your groups private indulgence.
The Summit Rain forest Retreat is located in the Cairns Highlands, also known as the Atherton Tablelands, in Far North Queensland, Australia. The retreat is situated on the summit of an extinct volcano and commands the highest point in Atherton. You will love the tranquil rain forest setting with its 180 degree panoramic views. Walk through the rain forest to the center of the crater, enjoy the spectacular scenery, use the "conference room", or relax by the pool/spa whilst you sip a cool drink.
Peace and tranquility is assured on over 2 hectares of land, the house boasts a huge entertainment deck and you'll delight in the abundant native wildlife at your doorstep birds, wallabies, pademelons, bandicoots, possums and lumholtz tree kangaroos, to name a few. The Summit Rainforest Retreat is a 5 bedroom holiday house (sleeps up to 16), or a 1 bedroom apartment (sleeps 4) in a luxurious, "nature lovers" setting. Ideal for singles, couples, families, groups, multiple couples, weddings, conferences, meetings & seminars etc. Packages for accommodation and conferences are available, so that you can mix business with pleasure.
Each booking for The Summit Rain forest Retreat, has exclusive use of the facilities, this means that only one booking at a time can be made. If needed, Atherton Blue Gum B&B is also available for extra accommodation and only a few minutes walk. The Summit Rain forest Retreat is unique, in its quality, the number of guests it can cater for, its position and the native fauna & flora that surrounds it. An exceptional holiday house and conference room on the Atherton Tablelands.
- Central cooling and heating (house only)
- Ceiling fans in all rooms and on the deck
- Telephone and computer phone line
- Satellite TV access in each bedroom and on the deck
- Sound system and Satellite "AUSTAR" box and TV in the lounge area of the house
- Large front deck with magnificent open log fireplace - (firewood can be arranged, at an extra cost)
- Heated pool and spa located on the front deck
- BBQ and bar facilities
- Quality linen and towels provided
- Spacious kitchen with modern appliances (house only)
- Full laundry facilities
- Outdoor furniture to relax and enjoy the 180 degree views
- obile phone coverage
- At your request, an experienced Chef can be provided, to cook "in house" for you (cost extra).
- Nicks Swiss Italian Restaurant can arrange delivery (cost extra)
- Ka Huna massages and Swedish Remedial Massages on site (cost extra)
- "Private Guides" for birdwatching & spotlighting native animals at night (cost extra)
- Home entertainment theatre (cost extra)
- Conference Centre for up to 30 people in theatre, or 18 in workshop configuration (cost extra)
- Packages, for all of the above, can be supplied.
- Close to a variety of top class restaurants and all the regions attractions
- Environmental walks through the native “Mabi Rainforest”
- Private access to the Hallorans Hill lookout
- Privacy and seclusion.
Nearby attractions and activities:
* A beautiful, scenic and unspoilt, undulating tableland between 500 and 1000 meters above the "The Great Barrier Reef" perfect for self driving tours.
* Ancient Rainforest (see picture above), Volcanic lakes, Waterfall Circuit (including Millaa Millaa Falls), Mareeba Wetlands, National Parks, "World Heritage Listed - Wet Tropic" Rainforest areas as well as Mabi Rainforest and an abundance and diversity of flora and fauna. (Tree Kangaroos, Platypus, Brolga, Rock Wallabies, Kangaroo, Bandicoot, Quolls, Bird life etc- guided night spotting tours can be arranged.)
* Adventure Activities include: Hot Air Ballooning, Free Flying, Horse Riding, Barramundi fishing, Bungy Jumping, Pioneer walking trails with Donkeys and Go-Kart Racing.
* The Dream Continues at Paronella Park , "The surprise of your Travels".
* Be assured of a "catch" at the Tablelands best fishing park, "Tarzali Lakes" , or just feed and watch.
* Visit working Coffee & Tea Plantations, Mango Wineries, Gourmet Dairy food tasting and other agricultural pursuits. Self Drive the Tropical Food Trails.
* The Mareeba Wetlands, a bird watchers haven & conservation success story. Circum-navigate the lake with the Rangers expert commentary and view the beautiful Gouldian Finches - brought back from extinction.
* "Rainforestation Nature Park" , Pamagirri Aboriginal Experience, Koala's and amphibious Army Ducks, restaurants and gift shops.
Historical towns of Yungaburra, Atherton, Herberton, Chillagoe & Irvinebank - the regions heart from 1880 - 1920. Only a two hour drive to the outback Chillagoe caves.
* Gemstone fossicking and Gold panning, off the normal tourist track.
* The Hou Wang Miau Chinese Temple, the last surviving structure of what was Cedar Camp, the Atherton Chinatown, established in the mid 1880's.
* Indulge yourself in sampling the exotic dairy products of the Mungalli Creek Bio-Dynamic Dairy.
* Historic Steam Train journeys, up the steepest grades in Queensland.
* Granite Gorge, feed the Rock Wallabies in their natural habitat and get a feel for the very Australian landscape.
* Aviation and Military Museum as well as camp sites, recording the Atherton Tablelands role in WWII.
* Lake Tinaroo and Tinaroo Dam , - Tours, Cruises and Water sports with boat and canoe hire, as well as the peaceful Danbulla State Forest Drive around its foreshores.
* A Variety of bushwalking tracks, ranging from easy to strenuous, rainforest to savannah, mountains to wetlands, and circum-navigating volcanic lakes to volcanic craters.
* The Curtain and Cathedral Fig Trees, both over 500 year old Strangler Fig Trees. The giant Twin Kauri Pines at Lake Barrine are testament to the Atherton Tableland origins.
* Master a selection of Golf Courses, in beautiful fresh mountain air, individually or as part of an organised Golf Tour.
* Cairns, Kuranda, Mission Beach and Port Douglas are all accessible to and from Atherton, within a 1.5 hours drive.
* Short drives to Tropical beaches, Outback, and/or Savannah areas, makes The Summit central to the attractions of the entire region.
* The Undara Lava tubes and Cobbold Gorge are accessible or charter our 4WD vehicle
* Use our Tour Desk to book these day trips, or any other.
Atherton: 3 minute drive.
Yungaburra: 10 minute drive.
Cairns International Airport: 1 hr 10 min.
Cairns via Kuranda: 1 hr 20 mins
Cairns via Gordonvale and Yungaburra: 1 hr 20 mins.
- Minimum stay of 2 nights.
- Only 1 group per booking at The Summit - Either the Retreat, the 1 br apartment or the conference center or a combination.
- Conference Center rates are available on request, these are dependent on numbers, duration and catering requirements.
- All rates are in Australian Dollars (AUD) & include GST.
- 50% deposit required to secure the booking
- Balance payable on arrival
- Deposit is forfeited if canceled
- Credit Card payments will incur a 2% bank surcharge
- The Summit Retreat sleeps up to 16.
- The Summit 1 br apartment sleeps 4.
- The Summit Rainforest Retreat tariffs are based on $400 for 1 - 4 persons pn with each extra guest charged $40 pn and $250 pn for the 1 br apartment which sleeps 4.
- Bed and Breakfast rooms are available at The Summit B&B.
- Inquire for special children rates.
- Weekly and Monthly tariffs are available on request.
Day 1: Depart from the front desk of your Cairns Accommodation, around 9.30 am, bound for Tyrconnell Historic Gold Mine. We view the stunning Barron Gorge, Coral Sea & Cairns Coastal Floodplain at the spectacular Henry Ross Lookout, at the top of the Kuranda Range. It is possible to do the Kuranda Skyrail one-way from Smithfield, and meet the Swagman's Trail again in Kuranda. (Cost of Skyrail is extra). We leave the coastal and Highland rain forest and head inland to Mareeba and the Savannah country. We visit the unique 'Golden Drop Mango Winery'. You can sample the wine and gift packs are available for purchase. Spotting scores of Kangaroo's on the Fairways of Mareeba Golf Course while enjoying home baked biscuits for morning tea is a necessary indulgence.
After enjoying a picnic lunch in Dimbulah, we arrive at Tyrconnell in the early afternoon, you are now in Outback territory, vast, rugged and definitely Australian. The afternoon is spent Gold Panning, and touring this fascinating mine, now having been restored to its former glory of 1880, before retiring to your quarters to prepare for dinner with your hosts, and a tour of the historical cemetery by Lantern light.
Included in Day 1:
- Transfers from Cairns with sight seeing.
- Gold panning equipment & guide.
- Mine and Cemetery Tours
Day 2: Up with the sun and after a good hearty breakfast and an early morning walk, you’re on your way to Maloberti's North Queensland Coffee Plantation. Observe the entire process from the beans on the trees, through to the harvesting and roasting, Gift Packs are available to buy. We continue on to Granite Gorge. Walk this amazing Australian landscape, have a swim if desired and feed the native Rock Wallabies from your hand.
After lunch on the top deck of Atherton Blue Gum, we digest the lush, unspoilt and scenic Southern Atherton Tablelands (or Cairns Highlands). We visit the Hallorans Hill lookout, and take in the view towards the two highest mountains in Queensland. Our secret platypus rendezvous, on the edge of the Barron River is an exciting adventure, have your camera ready! Continuing onto Volcanic Lake Eacham for turtle spotting, a walk or swim is another highlight, while the 500 year old, Curtain Fig Tree is breathtaking. We arrive back at Atherton Blue Gum, a unique 4 Star Bed & Breakfast. You have a choice to stay either at Atherton Blue Gum B&B or, the 5 star Summit Rainforest Retreat (subject to availability & numbers). Dinner is your choice, with complimentary transfer to and from a local restaurant.
Included in Day 2:
- Full Breakfast
- Day Tour
- Granite Gorge entry
- Transfer to Restaurant for Dinner
Day 3: Another early morning walk, if you so desire, followed by a full breakfast on the upper deck of your accommodation, overlooking the serene Atherton valley and surrounding mountains. We take a short journey to Lake Barrine Tea House, to see "Mother Nature" at her most wondrous and ponder how it all came about as we relax on the deck or take a short walk to the two giant Kauri Pines. A 45 min cruise around the lake is available, (cruise cost is extra, approx $12 pp), spot the giant python from the safety of the boat and enjoy the commentary supplied.
There will be an opportunity to stop off at a selection of stunning lookouts, on the edge of the Great Dividing Range, as we make our way down to sea level, for a lunch-time arrival on the Coast.
Included in Day 3:
- Full Breakfast
- Half Day Tour
- Transfer to Cairns, Mission Beach or Port Douglas.
10% discount for InfoHub customer. Request a free gift certificate.
The Summit B&B costs $180 AUD /night for a couple.
The Summit Apartment sleeps up to 4 and costs $250 AUD /night.
Rates quoted above are for the entire retreat.
Cost of the Package:
*$1199 AUD pp (Adults)
*$499 AUD pp (Children under 15 years of age)
Joined InfoHub: Feb 2008
Client Request Served: 2
Our company is located in the Cairns Highlands, also known as the Atherton Tablelands, in Far North Queensland, Australia. The retreat is situated on the summit of an extinct volcano and commands the highest point in Atherton. You Spectacular Atherton Accommodation will love the tranquil rainforest setting with its 180...
View this supplier profile | Submit your review
Please take this quick survey and tell us, in your opinion, how original is this trip?
Email it to a friend:
Click here to email this vacation to a friend
|Check out these similar vacation offers: