Cow Creek Ranch, a historic fly fishing guest ranch in the mountains of Pecos, New Mexico, just outside of Santa Fe, offers a wide variety of outdoor recreational activities, including fly fishing, horseback riding, hiking, biking, sporting clays, archery, spa treatments and much more.
Cow Creek Ranch, nestled deep in the wilderness of Santa Fe National Forest and the valleys of the Sangre de Cristo Mountains, has served as a relaxing escape for families since the early 1930’s. The ranch, just 40 miles southeast of Santa Fe, is located in the mountains above the small town of Pecos. Formerly known as Martin’s Cow Creek Ranch, Cow Creek Ranch was one of the oldest cattle ranches in the area. Originally the family home of Bob and Louise Martin and their four daughters, the ranch has had a tradition of being family owned and operated for over 70 years.
The lodge lies in the center of a lush green valley, which is surrounded on three sides by National Forest and is the home of 3 1/2 miles of Cow Creek. Beautiful mountain lakes scattered throughout the valley provide wonderful fish and waterfowl habitat and reflect the splendor of the surrounding hillsides. It is in a place such as this that one can truly understand why New Mexico has been called “The Land of Enchantment.” An angler's paradise, this Orvis endorsed fly fishing lodge is one of New Mexico's best kept secrets!
All buildings on the ranch were built from pine and aspen harvested from the property itself. The historic lodge, with its open beamed ceilings and two fireplaces, provides a warm atmosphere for dining, visiting with friends, or enjoying your favorite beverage. It serves as a gathering place where adventures are re-lived and memories are made over the embers of a crackling fire.
The charming rooms, each with fireplace and private bath, combine luxury with traditional western ambience. All rooms are connected to the lodge and open onto a large porch surrounding a courtyard, which overlooks the meandering stream.
Guests are beckoned by the ranch bell three times daily to the dining room, where savory meals are served by our friendly staff. Choose to dine inside or enjoy the outdoor patio with a view of the cascading mountain lakes. Guests enjoy a changing menu of culinary delights and delectable pastries skillfully prepared by the ranch chef from the finest of ingredients.
Nearby attractions and activities:
- FLY FISHING: Fish 3 ½ miles of private stream and seven high mountain lakes teeming with trophy rainbows, browns and brookies. All fishing at Cow Creek Ranch is catch-and-release, with the exception of the occasional fish that can be kept and fried for breakfast. Anglers fish at private stations, which they choose daily. The more adventurous can also trek up the valley to try out the waters of the surrounding national forest. Experienced guides offer careful instruction to guests of all levels, from beginners to seasoned anglers.
- HORSEBACK RIDING: The best way to truly experience the ranch and its natural beauty is on horseback. Ride one of our fine strings of mountain trail horses up the many trails which wander for miles through the Sangre de Cristo Mountains. As you ride through lush green valleys, fields of native wildflowers, and groves of glistening aspen, keep your eyes open, as you will most likely encounter some of our local wildlife. We welcome riders from five years old and older.
- GUIDED WILDERNESS HIKES: Take an educational journey through nature with our very own naturalist guide. Learn to recognize the signs of local wildlife as you cross game trails. Learn about each animal’s habitat and food pattern. Discover and identify native wildflowers and learn about the life cycle of vegetation in the forest.
- SPA SERVICES: Let Cow Creek Ranch rejuvenates your body, mind and spirit. Choose from a comforting array of spa treatments including massages, facials, aromatherapy, pedicures and yoga. Whether it is a hot stone massage, chosen to relax the muscles after a long day of fishing, or a full day of treatments designed to melt your worries away, the promise is a feeling of clear mountain exhilaration.
- SPORTING CLAYS: Both addictive and challenging, sporting clays is often referred to as "golf with a gun". Instead of sinking a ball into a hole, shooters aim to break targets along a designated course. Families, men, women and children can safely enjoy this energetic sport. Cow Creek Ranch boasts a most unique and challenging Sporting Clays range. Enjoy the courses' 13 stations tucked away in one of the ranch's most beautiful valleys. We provide all necessary equipment for the course including ammo, protective eye wear, ear plugs and fine quality Beretta 391, 12 gauge shotguns.
- BREAKFAST RIDE AND FISH FRY: These two activities take place on different days of the week and give guests the opportunity to enjoy a Ranch-style meal shared with other guests in the great outdoors. The breakfast ride takes place up the valley from the lodge. Guests have the choice of riding horseback, walking or driving to the destination to enjoy a tasty Chuckwagon style meal in the crisp morning air. The fish fry takes place at a different location on the ranch and occurs a bit later in the week. Guests trek or drive up the valley to relax and enjoy a savory lunch of fried trout in the beauty of the surrounding hillsides.
- CHILDREN'S PROGRAM: The ranch offers an extensive children’s program daily for children ages four and older. Supervised recreational activities, such as horseback riding (ages 5 and up), treasure hunts, crafts, and games are all centered on an education in the great outdoors and will teach your children a love and respect for nature.
The ranch is just 40 miles southeast of Santa Fe in the mountains of Pecos, New Mexico.
* The 2003 season runs from June 28th through September 7th.
* Weeks run Saturday-to-Saturday with check-in at 2:00 p.m. and checkout at 10:00 a.m.
* Three and four-day vacations are available upon request.
* Rates are based on double occupancy and include: seven nights lodging, three meals a day, and most ranch activities.
* Children must be age four or older to be a guest at the ranch.
* A 15% service charge will be added to your statement of charges. This will be distributed to all of our employees at the end of the season. Incidental gratuities during your stay are not expected.
* State and local taxes are 6.7% and are added to the rates above. All rates are subject to change without notice.
* A 50% deposit is required upon reservation. Cancellations must be made 90 days prior to arrival in order to receive a refund of your deposit (less 10%).
* Seven-day packages run Saturday-to-Saturday with check-in at 2:00 p.m. and check-out at 10:00 a.m. Adults: $1610.00. Children ages 4-12: $1435.00.
* Four-day packages run Saturday to Wednesday with check-in Saturday at 2:00 p.m. and check-out Wednesday at 10:00 a.m. Adults: $1020.00. Children ages 4-12: $920.00.
* Three-day packages run Wednesday to Saturday with check-in Wednesday at 2:00 p.m. and check-out Saturday at 10:00 a.m. Adults: $765.00. Children ages 4-12: $690.00.
* Rates include: lodging, three meals a day, fly fishing, horseback riding, archery, hiking, the children's program, mountain bike rentals and most other ranch activities.
* All rates are per person rates and based on double occupancy. Children must be age four or older to be a guest at the ranch. A 15% service charge will be added to your statement of charges. Incidental gratuities during your stay are not expected. State and local taxes are 6.06% and lodging tax is 5%.
Taxes will be added to the rates above. All rates are subject to change without notice. A 50% deposit is required upon reservation and may be handled by check or the following credit cards: Visa, Mastercard, or Discover. Cancellations must be made 90 days prior to arrival in order to receive a refund of your deposit (less 10%).
About This Supplier
Joined InfoHub: Apr 2003
Client Request Served: 56
M11875, a historic fly fishing guest ranch in the mountains of Pecos, New Mexico, just outside of Santa Fe, offers a wide variety of outdoor recreational activities, including fly fishing, horseback riding, hiking, biking, sporting clays, archery, spa treatments and much more.
M11875, nestled deep in the wilderness...
View this supplier profile | Submit your review
Please take this quick survey and tell us, in your opinion, how original is this trip?
Email it to a friend:
Click here to email this vacation to a friend
|Check out these similar vacation offers: