Study the wildlife of a primitive rain forest and mangrove from your hammock. Learn about our neighbors, a small river population in a remote jungle oasis just off the grid. Our lodge is located in a delicate eco system that we are helping preserve. We are short on drinks with umbrellas, but long on providing small groups and individuals with a unique adventure that will stay in your heart forever, and the local beer is cold!
Why our lodge is different:
- We offer diverse environments and wildlife: lowland rain forest, river, mangroves, a mountainous jungle and we are not far from the prettiest ocean beach on earth
- You may choose from a variety of unique tours ranging from adventurous to educational
- We accept only 10 guests at a time to ensure maximum wildlife encounters, personalized service and low environmental impact
- We donate 5 per cent of the profits from your stay to the local school.
“Sabalo is more than a place, it is an experience. Dan and Holly are knowledgeable and gracious hosts whose warm attention still brings me smiles these many months since” (Dennis Linden - Friday Harbor, Washington).
The National Geographic Society calls the Osa Peninsula, "the final frontier on Earth and the most biologically intense place on the planet".
Accommodations include two rainforest cabins that sleep three to five each and two guest rooms in the main lodge that sleep two each. There is a 400 sq ft rancho near the stream with hammocks and chairs - a great place to relax. We have our own little swimming hole near the ranch as well. The grounds are a spacious eight acres of landscaped lawn, indigenous flowering plants, fruit and shade trees. Our lodge is adjacent to rainforest and mangroves allowing for amazing wildlife viewing right on the property.
Wireless Satellite Internet is available for a fee. Lodging includes three excellent home cooked meals a day emphasizing fresh fish, chicken, tropical fruits and locally grown vegetables along with freshly-brewed Costa Rica coffee.
Nearby attractions and activities:
- Corcovado National Park tour
- Caño Island Snorkeling and Hiking tour
- Caño Island Diving Adventure
- Drake Bay Dolphin and Whale Watching tour
- Hike to and swim at a secluded two-tiered waterfall
- Kayaking in the Mangroves
- Horseback ride into Mountainous Rainforest
- Mountain bike rentals
- Guided Adventure Hikes into the Mountainous Rainforest
- Fishing in the Mangroves with a resident expert
- Day at a secluded Beach with Rainforest, think Jurassiac Park
- Cultural Organic Fruit Farm in the Jungle tour.
- Cultural Tour of the Local Community of Sabalo
- Bird Watching
- Wildlife Viewing
- Swimming in our stream
- Volleyball, badminton, croquet.
4 hours by car from San Jose or 40 minutes by plane to Palmar Sur on Sansa or Nature Air, then a 15 minute taxi ride to Sierpe. Then a 40 minute boat ride from Sierpe to our eco lodge.
- 50 per cent deposit should be made within 7 days of your reservation to guarantee your request
- Reservations require a 100 per cent deposit 35 days in advance of arrival
- Children under age 12 are half price if they share a room with their parents.
- All cancellations should be sent by e-mail
- Cancellations received 0-15 days of arrival: no refund
- Cancellations received 15-30 days of arrival: 50 per cent refund
- Cancellations received before 30 days of arrival: Total refund, minus 150 USD handling charge
- No refunds for “no shows”
- No refunds on Christmas, New Year and Easter Week.
Tour Package "A": Ultimate Jungle and Beach Adventure (6 days/5 nights). Stay four days and three nights at Sabalo Lodge immersed in the rainforest and two nights in at the beach in Drake Bay near Corcovado. Guided hike through Corcovado National Park. Explore the many natural wonders of these unique ecosystems.
Tour Package "B": Ultimate Jungle Adventure and Day at a Secluded Beach. Stay four days and three nights at Sábalo Lodge. Enjoy a relaxing atmosphere in a great spot for bird watching, horseback riding, hiking and fishing. Playa Blanca is located at the mouth of the river commonly referred to as the "boca". This is a remote and isolated beach that can only be reached by boat. There you can enjoy a relaxing atmosphere with a spectacular view of the mountains on Violin island. It is a wonderful tree-lined beach with safe areas for swimming and good fishing too!
Rainforest cabin (king bed and one single bed):
- Double: 95 USD per person per night
- Triple: 90 USD per person per night
- Quadruple: 85 USD per person per night.
Deluxe Rainforest cabin (king bed and bunk beds):
- Double: 105 USD per person per night
- Triple: 100 USD per person per night
- Quadruple: 95 USD per person per night.
- Single travelers must purchase a Tour Pack "A"
- Children under 12 staying in the same cabin or room are half price.
10% discount for InfoHub customer. Request a free gift certificate.
Package "A" Price: 850 USD p/p.
- Transportation from Palmar Sur to Sabalo Lodge
- Lodging 3 nights and 3 home-cooked meals a day
- Lodging and meals 2 nights in a beach cabin near Corcovado
- Choose from a kayaking in the mangroves tour, horseback tour or a guided hike in the rainforest
- Tour of a local Tico village
- Transportation by boat - Sábalo to beach-front cabin
- Guided tour of Corcovado National Park.
Package "B" Price: 599 USD p/p.
- Transportation from Palmar Sur to Sierpe
- A relaxing 40 minute trip through the mangroves of Sierpe River to Sábalo Lodge where you will have the opportunity to see up close the many wonders of this unique ecosystem
- Three home-cooked meals a day
- Kayak tour, hike to a waterfall or mangrove fishing tour 2-4 hours
- Tour of a local Tico village
- Approximately 4 hours tour to Playa Blanca, a 20 minute boat ride down the Sierpe River from Sábalo Lodge.
About This Supplier
||Location: Costa Rica
Joined InfoHub: Sep 2007
Client Request Served: 58
Costa Rica Eco Lodge located in the Osa Peninsula. We cater to individuals, couples and small groups interested in adventure travel and ecotourism activities. Minimizing our capacity for guests allows for maximum wildlife viewing as well as providing our guests with low-key personalized service ensuring your stay will...
View this supplier profile | Submit your review
Please take this quick survey and tell us, in your opinion, how original is this trip?
Email it to a friend:
Click here to email this vacation to a friend