Tucked away in the highland cloud forest, Los Quetzales Lodge & Spa is ideal for those longing to retreat from the hustle and bustle of modern living. At 7260 feet above sea level (2,200 meters), the reserve has the highest lodging facilities in the country, and lies inside the primary cloud forest of Volcan Baru National Park, which was established in 1976. The Volcan is adjacent to the 407,000 acre Parque Internacional La Amistad, which straddles Costa Rica and Panama. Our 400 hectare reserve has been protected by the private efforts of its founders in 1970. It is our privilege to offer the only eco-vacation resort in Panama or Costa Rica with overnight accommodations inside a national park.
Our climate varies from 75 degrees F. during a sunny day to 45 degrees F. on our chilliest winter night. But the one thing about our ambiance, which amazes most visitors, is the absence of biting insects - no mosquitoes, no chiggers, not even a stray no-see-um! Fortunately our area also lacks venomous snake species.
Getting to Los Quetzales is easy. We are only 1 1/2 hours by bus from the Costa Rica border, on excellent paved roads all the way to our main hotel and headquarters in the town of Guadalupe, adjacent to Cerro Punta. From there, for those guests who wish to visit the mountainside reserve inside the Park, we provide access on a rocked road via a 4-wheel drive or horseback. Many folks also enjoy walking to the cabin area, a gentle 30 minute climb featuring mountain scenery quilted with small vegetable patches and colorful gardens in the town of 400 inhabitants. Higher up, on the way to the cabins, you'll walk past simple friendly homes of Guaymi indians.
I takes about seven hours by bus to reach us from San Jose, Costa Rica or Panama City, Panama. Those in a hurry to slow down and relax may choose a 50 minute flight from Panama City to David, or San Jose, Costa Rica to David, Chiriqui. From David, where we can arrange transportation for our guests, the drive to Guadalupe takes about one hour and fifteen minutes.
The hotel is located within a stone's throw of the river. All rooms have private baths, with a bathtub and/or shower. Rooms feature a view of our organic gardens and ponds. A separate building with 5 suites that have large wood-paneled rooms, featuring fireplaces, kitchenettes, balconies and a view of gardens, river and ponds.
Let the soothing sounds of the forest and river lull you to sleep. Our chalets are located within the pristine cloud forest of Friendship International Park. Ideal for bird watching, animal encounters and guided tours. Perfect for privacy, romantic getaways, and family retreats.
Ideal for budget-minded travelers who don't mind hostel-type accommodations. Price per person is $14 which includes a daily guided tour. Enjoy a hearty continental breakfast for an additional $5. Our family room ideal for a large family or group. Price includes two continental breakfasts and guided tours for all occupants.
Nearby attractions and activities:
Agricultural Towns, Archeological sites, botanical garden with 2,500 orchid species, white water rafting, hiking Los Quetzales trail to Boquete from Guadalupe, thoroughbred horse farm, coffee plantations, local fruit wineries, garden tours, birding watching sites.
Located in Guadalupe, 3km from Cerro Punta and 70 km. from David, 1.5 hours by taxi and 2.5 hours on bus. 450 km. from Panama City, Panama, and a similar distance from San Jose, Costa Rica.
Reservation Policy: 25% deposit required for confirmed reservations. For Visa or M/C charges a charge au-thorization is required. We are not responsible for unconfirmed reservations. Balance due upon arrival.
Cancellation Policy: Refunds (% of deposit) # days prior to reservation date:
- 75% for 20 days prior notice
- 50% for 10 days prior notice
- 25% for 5 days prior notice
- 0% days Less than 5 days notice.
Note: Cancellations only accepted from date written communication (e-mail, fax or air mail let-ter) is received.
All inclusive rates for 2009
$160 per person, per night. Includes:
- Hotel suite or room occupancy ($15.00 surcharge for single occupancy)
- Full American breakfast, lunch and dinner. Buffet Style for groups or A La Carte. Meals include soup and salad entrées, main dish wine, beer, soft drinks, fresh orange juice and fruitshakes.
- Twice daily nature appreciation, and birding guided tours, throughout our trails within our private 400 hectare cloud forest compound, inside Volcan Baru National Park (PNVB) and La Amistad International Park (PILA).
- Transportation in any or all of our four 4 x 4 vehicles (Toyota Land Cruiser) from Los Quetzales Lodge to El Respingo, Volcan Baru Park Ranger Station (entrance to the Los Quetzales Trail), Volcan Lakes, and Finca Dracula Botanical Garden. $3.50 per person Park Ranger entrance fees to PNVB and PILA not included.
- Morning and afternoon snacks, cold and hot drinks, during any outings.
- Rain coats and rubber boots are provided.
- Computers provided for internet use and access to Wi-Fi (Wireless Internet)
- Use of lodge amenities such as restaurant and bar lounge with fireplaces, game room/conference room, reading room, etc. For bird count sessions, either the bar lounge and conference room is recommended.
- 30% discount on spa services such as massages, facials, hot stone treatments
- Free use of horses and mountain bikes.
All inclusive rates for 2009 (Cabin Lodging): Should a client prefer accommodations other than a hotel suite or room, the following prices apply for 2009, per person, per night: $20.00 surcharge for single occupancy
- Cabin #4 duplex (each floors) - $150.00
- Cabin #5 - $150.00
- Cabin #6 - $150.00
- Cabin #8 (two person minimum) - $160.00
- Cabin #9 (two person minimum) $160.00
Note: for groups of 3 or more in a single cabin, apply a 50% discount per person
Meal options at chalets (all have fully equipped kitchens):
- Cook your meals. Hotel delivers fresh fruit, vegetables, herbs, chicken, fish
- Hot meals catered to chalets from our hotel restaurant.
- Transportation to our hotel restaurant.
- Cook provided to prepare and serve meals in your chalet (free for groups of 2 or more)
Discounts do not apply to dorm and economy accommodations.
About This Supplier
Joined InfoHub: Sep 2009
Client Request Served: 5
M19728 was established in 1991 with cabin lodging in the cloud forest within two parks and then grew to incorporating a hotel, restaurant and spa. The owner, Carlos Alfaro was a banker, and as an activist published a newspaper in Caracas. The lodge is an ideal location for birding, hiking, rafting, camping and wild...
View this supplier profile | Submit your review
Please take this quick survey and tell us, in your opinion, how original is this trip?
Email it to a friend:
Click here to email this vacation to a friend