Scandinavian Divers is a resort located on the beautiful tropical island Mindoro, about 150 kilometers - or about 90 miles - south of Manila on the Philippines, far from the noise and smog of the big cities. Mindoro is one of the last tropical places left on earth that's not yet overrun by tourists. Here you can enjoy the amazing hospitality and warmth of the local population while taking in the diving experiences of a lifetime (but actually, you don't have to dive to stay with us). All at a surprisingly reasonable cost.
Our dive resort is right at the edge of the water on Big Lalaguna, the most beautiful white sandy beach on Northern Mindoro (see picture to the right, which is the view from our resort). On the roof we have "Sky Bar & Restaurant"; a restaurant/bar with a world class view - easily the best in the entire area, also at night, where you can enjoy an unobstructed view of the sky.
Our resort has:
- 10 rooms
- A restaurant
- wi fi
- Air-con or fan
- Cable TV
- A small refrigerator (minibar)
- A classroom, and of course an area where you can just sit and relax over a game of cards or whatever else you might feel like
- On the roof you'll find "Sky Bar"
- A restaurant/ bar with an exceptional world-class view over the ocean and surrounding Big Lalaguna. The view is also exceptional at night, where you can take in an unobstructed view of the sky from the area that is not covered.
Nearby attractions and activities:
Mindoro is one of the last tropical places left on earth that's not yet overrun by tourists. Here you can enjoy the amazing hospitality and warmth of the local population while taking in the diving experiences of a lifetime (but actually, you don't have to dive to stay with us). Big Lalaguna itself is very cozy, clean and usually fairly quiet. There are a couple of restaurants and also a couple of low-key bars (not all-night discos). There is a small mom-and-pop shop that sells basic necessities, but for more extensive shopping you want to go to Sabang or Puerto Galera. The nightlife in Sabang is notorious throughout Asia... try it and you'll never be the same. About one dollar for a bottle of rum (albeit for the cheap one), that says about everything. And don't forget plenty of Aspirin.
You'll find a larger market in the city of Puerto Galera, which is about 10 minutes away by one of the small local "banka"'s (small boats). The trip to Puerto Galera is incredibly beautiful and should be considered an absolute must. If you'd like some variety on the way home you could take one of the local "jeepneys" (minibus) back through the jungle. The trip to Puerto Galera can be considered a small excursion in itself, and the whole trip can be completed over the course of a couple of hours. The trip is also an excellent way to get in touch with the local population. The people are incredibly relaxed and happy and always quick to smile, which you'll see for yourself after just a few hours in the area.
We should also mention that the locals are very child-friendly indeed, and children would therefore also gain a lot by visiting the area. And it's easy to have the kids taken care of for a while if you yourself need a little space. On Mindoro we have - within a 15 minute boat trip (most within 5-10) - access to dozens of diving sites in an area that is recognized as one of the very best places to dive in all of Asia. If you prefer to dive at sites a little further away, Scandinavian Divers Inc. has one of the fastest diving boats on Mindoro to take you there - so you spend your time in the water, not in the boat.
Mindoro is recognized as one of the very best diving areas in all of Asia. You can confirm this for yourself several times a day by diving at the dozens of diving sites within a 15 - minute boat trip from Scandinavian Divers. The underwater visibility varies, of course, but is normally at the positive side of 15-20 meters. One of the most unusual aspects of the diving sites around Mindoro is the rich mixture of hard and soft corals. Furthermore, the big difference between high and low tide gives great opportunities for some serious drift dives!
Big Lalaguna itself is very cozy, clean and usually fairly quiet. There are a couple of restaurants and also a couple of low-key bars (not all-night discos). There is a small mom-and-pop shop that sells basic necessities, but for more extensive shopping you want to go to Sabang or Puerto Galera. About 100 yards out in the water in front of Sabang is the "Floating Bar" (not the one on the picture, but similar to it) which has Happy Hour from 9 AM to 12 noon (we can't recommend it if you're planning to dive the same day, but you can have some very good times there if you're taking a day off from the diving). Don't forget suntan lotion!
Furthermore, there's a 9-hole golf course about 1 hours ride from Sabang, where all equipment can be rented. It's situated a good distance up a mountain and so it comes as no surprise that the view is phenomenal - the course is considered one of the most beautiful in Asia.
It is located on the beautiful tropical island Mindoro, about 150 kilometers - or about 90 miles - south of Manila on the Philippines.
- We give a 10% discount on the room rate if at least one of the occupants is an active diver
- Rooms normally hold up to two people, but we can put in an extra mattress for a small additional fee (5 US dollars pr. night)
- Normal travel insurance, including health insurance, should be taken out before departure from home.
- Tune-up course, (2 hours, 60 USD): This tune-up course is for those that haven't been diving for a while and who want to refresh the most important points and practices
- Discover Scuba Diving, (2 hours, 60 USD): A course that only takes two hours to complete: An introduction to diving, a little theory, and then a dive in the ocean
-Scuba Diver, (2 days, 240 USD): Become certified in only two days with a Scuba Diver course: This course includes theory and two ocean dives down to maximum 12 meters, after which you have earned yourself a real certificate
- PADI Open Water, (3-4 days, 420 USD): This course is the most popular of all diving courses in the world. It is, therefore, also recognized all over the globe. This is your admission ticket to intense and unforgettable under-water experiences for the rest of your life!
- Adventure Diver, (1 Day, 240 USD): You must have completed the Open Water course before taking this. This course includes three dives. Two of these - Navigation and Depth - are required. The last dive is your choice between Night, Current, Multi-level, Wreck, and Naturalist (where you learn about corals and fish)
-PADI Advanced Open Water, (2-3 Days, 300 USD): When you've passed the Open Water Course you can go on to the advanced course. This course is focused on five parts. The first two - Depth (down to 30 meters (juniors max 21)) and Navigation - are required.
- High Season:
* 1-Bedroom Waterfront Suite: 98 USD
* 2-Bedroom Waterfront Suite: 150 USD
* 3-Bedroom Waterfront Suite: 190 USD
* Fan: 34 USD
* Standard: 44 USD
* Superior: 54 USD
* 1-Bedroom Waterfront Suite: 79 USD
* 2-Bedroom Waterfront Suite: 130 USD
* 3-Bedroom Waterfront Suite: 160 USD
* Fan: 29 USD
* Standard: 38 USD
* Superior: 45 USD
- VIP Express Transport Service: 140 US dollars each way for each group of up to six people
Joined InfoHub: Mar 2010
Client Request Served: 10
Resort and Padi Dive Center is on Big La Laguna Beach which has the best beach and snorkeling in Puerta Galera area. Over 25 quality dive sites are located within 15 minutes via our boats. 2 and 3 bedroom suites and 9 Pool side rooms on the beach with Dive Center, instructors and equipment. Rooms are 17-50 USD per...
View this supplier profile | Submit your review
Please take this quick survey and tell us, in your opinion, how original is this trip?
Email it to a friend:
Click here to email this vacation to a friend