Villa Tranquila is located on a cliff approximately 300m from the sea. Nestled in an olive grove at the north part of Sfinari, Villa Tranquila was designed and built to offer a comfortable getaway from modern life. Its simple yet commfortable design offers the perfect getaway for people that suffer from "mal de civilisation".
The Villa size is 140 sqm2 and 100 sqm2 of terraces. It comprises of 2 bedrooms, one bathroom, fully equipped kitchen, dining room and living room. The front terrace overlooks Sfinari bay and offers 180 degrees views of blue Mediterranean sea and long splendid sunsets.
The village grocery stores and cafés are located within 5 minutes walk.
Sfinari beach offers tranquil beach with simple but excellent taverns.
How to get there:
From Heraklion or Chania follow the National road towards the west part of the island. Travers the city of KAsteli-Kissamos and continue towards Platanos. Aprx. 10 minutes from Platanos you will see the sign SFINARI.
At the sign SFINARI you should make a U turn and count two electric posts or 100m from the sign and then at the second electric post you will see a little miniature chapel on the road here you should turn left towards the sea and drive into a small cement path. After 50 m you will see 3 houses, the middle one is Villa Tranquila.
In case you get lost you should ask in Greek " Poo Ine Guy'os spiti"("Where is Guy's house")
* The main panel is located inside the top cabinet at the hallway.
* Please turn on the main switch upon your arrival.
* The yellow light bulbs are the only lights that can be left on at night as all other lights are a great attraction to the well developed insects community of Sfinari.
* The hotwater will turn on once you turn on the main switch.
The gas tank is located outside near the kitchen wall. Please turn on the gas valve upon your arrival. Should you run out of gas, you may use the electric cooktop or replace the gas tank at the village grocery store (reimbursement upon your return).
The water in the house is drinkable. Nevertheless we recomend bottled water for drinking. During the summertime specially in August the water pressure is very low as we share the water with a few thousands olive trees that havs to be irrigated.
Your key opens the kitchen door which can be accessed from the front terrace.
Garbage should be disposed at the green garbage bin which is located in the main road.
If you encounter any problem in the house please contact Aleko Chatzakis in Sfinari. Aleko lives on the house just north of Villa Tranquila. You may see his red tile roof from the front terrace. You should stand at the front terrace and shout AALLEKKO.
* The nearest hospital is located in Kasteli-Kissamos.
* Nearest pharmacy is located also in Kasteli-lissamos.
* Internet connection: The net café is located in the Venizelos Square in Kasteli-Kissamos. On the second floor above stores . Cost is apx 2 Euros per hour. .
* We recommend to bring a flashlight/torch.
* Turn off the main electrical switch.
* Turn off the gas.
* Unplug the refrigerator and leave its door open.
* Collect all garbage and dispose at the garbage bin on the main street.
* Fold and store back the out-door furniture.
* Please leave the house as clean as possible
List of contents:
* One refrigerator
* One gas cooker
* Cd player
* Air condition in bedrooms.
* Two heaters.
* Pots, pans, plates, cutlery, glasses & cups.
Location & Nearby Attractions:
Villa Tranquila offers a perfect getaway from modern life and civilization. The only 'vehicle noise' you will hear is the voice of Lefteris Theodorakis commanding his mule while plowing his field. Listen to a new composition of sounds which is led during winter and spring time by the whisper of spring water trickling in the adjacent gorge. Alarm clocks are replaced by the chanting of the cock. Have a glass of ouzo on the terrace during sunset and relax. Should you decide to do some sightseeing we recommend the following:
* Chania is said to be the oldest, still inhabited city in the world. It may or may not be right but a fact is that Chania has been in existence for over 5000 years. It is now a large, noisy town but as soon as you get into the old town and walk its narrow streets and alleys the atmosphere changes and becomes charged with history.
Most prominent are the Venetian buildings and fortifications as well as the covered market. Chania also houses an Archaeological Museum and a Maritime Museum which are both worth a visit. Chania offers good opportunities for shopping, nice cafés and lots of good restaurants. Apx. 1 hr drive.
* The beaches in Elafonisi island at apx. 40 min drive. The beach is a heaven for kids as the crystal clear water is shallow for hundreds of meter and the reef around the lagoon ensure that the water is calm.
* Falasarna Beach is located about 20minutes drive north of Sfinari. Splendid beach with crystal clear water and white sand. In order to get to the best beach you should drive toward Hotel Plakures. At Plakures you turn left towards the sea and drive another 100m. The northern part of this beach is mainly naturist beach. Falasarna with kids- If you visit Falasarna with kids then I recomend the beach below Galacia Thea Tavern. Its a great snady beach with lots of kids attractions in the Tavern.
* Gramvousa Bay: Gramvousa and Balos beach bay are the most beautiful beaches I have seen in Crete. It is not easily accessible yet worth the effort. Gramvousa and Balos are located on the northwest part of the island. In order to get there you should drive from Sfinari towards Kastelli. Before you get to the port of Kastelli you should turn left following the signpost Balos Hotel. Follow this sign until you get to a dirt road. Follow the dirt road all the way to the end. At the end there is a Cantina. You should park at the Cantina and follow the dirt path to the beach. The walk down hill takes about 20 minutes and up depends on your physical shape. It is advisable to bring some food and drinks as there is only one Tavern on the beach. You may set your expectation high
The restored eco village of Milia is located between Vlatos and Elos. Apx. 1 hr drive south east from Sfinari. In Milia you may find restored accommodation rooms and excellent locally grown food. I love Milia and I love and respect the team which creates and run the place so you may say I'm biased but Milia is a proof that once you are totally committed to the highest standards in your doing, you will succeed even if you are located in the middle of nowhere. They are remote, secluded and fantastic. Bravo Milia! on this one!
* Picnic in the mountains: After a few days of sun, especially in July and August, you may be ready to leave the heat for a mountain chill out. Drive towards Chania and stop at the big I.N.K.A supermarket in Kolimbari to get your picnic needs. Once you are well equipped with your picnic needs, you should drive on the new road toward Chania and exit before Chania following the signpost to Omalos. Drive towards Omalos and find a suitable picnic spot in this alpine surroundings. I usually stop at Lakki and set a table on wide safety rail overlooking the White Mountains.
Sfinari Beach Taverns:
* Sunset Tavern: Sunset Tavern and the Baladakis family are a culnary "super power". Nikko Baladakis has a fishing boat and along with his talented Mother Elleni who is the cook, they create wonders. Helleni Baladakis cooks a daily dish for her family - "Catsarolla" which changes from day to day. You should ask to visit the kitchen and look at the daily Catsarola. Another specialty of Elleni is the Supya. A stuffed cuttle fish stuffed with goat cheese cooked in the oven. Yanis Baladkis (husband of Elleni) hides his live lobster inside a cage by the tavern beach so you may indulge yourself with a fresh lobster upon request. The Kakaviya which is the local fish soup is also a excellent choice.
* Dilina tavern which is the middle Tavern in Sfinari Beach has two culinary items that are hard to match: 1) Choryatiki-Greek salad. This is one of Greece most popular dish. The best choryatiki I had was in Dilina. 2) The second area of expertise is BBQ meat. The selection changes daily so you should ask what is avilable.
* Captain Fidias which is the first Tavern in Sfinari beach also has a fishing boat. I recommend the grilled Octopus and the deep fried Barbooni-red mullet.
About This Supplier
Joined InfoHub: Dec 2006
Client Request Served: 6
M15601 is a small picturesque village located in the western part of Crete, Greece between the white sandy beaches of Falasarna and the shallow turquoise lagoons of Elafonisi. The Venetian city of Chania which hosts the international airport is located less then one hour away.
M15601 is located on a cliff...
View this supplier profile | Submit your review
Email it to a friend:
Click here to email this vacation to a friend