My House is a recently built home, conceived and designed with all modern comforts, but also with some elements characteristic of the Seychelles tradition. The roof lined with the corrugated sheeting of Creole architecture, unmistakable feature of the houses in the Seychelles, high ceilings with their exposed timber beams and long-bladed fans in each room, the spacious veranda with the traditional bamboo curtains.
The simple and comfortable furniture is wholly handmade by local craftsmen, a true tradition that has grown up thanks to the precious local timbers with their exotic-sounding names: Takamaka, Calice du Pape, Casuarina, Teak. The house is surrounded by a private garden that gently slopes down to the sea. Its protagonists are coconut palms straining towards the light and the sea, framed by frangipani trees with their sweet-smelling flowers, hibiscus, and other tropical plants and shrubs.
With a soundtrack provided by the birds: the blackbird of the Seychelles, known in Creole as “pie chanteuse”, the Scops owl, the gannets, the partridges, all of whom will keep you company with their cheerful presence. My House is a spacious home, as snug and cosy as you could wish, but it is the sea, with its reefs of granite fashioned by the wind that sets its tone and atmosphere, the sea that renders its panorama unique, mutable and ever-changing throughout the day.
A sea that will rock you to sleep at night with its sudden rumbles, while its slow backwash will accompany you in the morning as you take your first coffee on the veranda, and also as dusk descends in the evening, when you can enjoy a shower in the midst of the garden’s tropical vegetation and bid the sun farewell as it disappears beneath the horizon. Except when the sea gets too rough, you can always have a swim along the coast that stretches in front of the house, or go snorkeling and admire a multitude of fish of every imaginable colour and size.
A few meters from the house you can reach the beautiful beach of fine white sand that you can see on the photos. A home that makes you live by the sea, but well protected by its walls. It is not an isolated house, for it is flanked by other houses with gardens, and yet is silent, reserved and wholly enveloped in its privacy. At any time and in all tranquility, you can take the sun on the rocks or the deckchairs in front of the house, admire the star-studded sky at night and have your dinner by candlelight.
- Cancellations: The following penalties will be due in case of cancellation or changes of date:
* Up to twenty days before arrival: 20% (twenty percent) of the entire amount
* From 19 to 7 days before arrival: 30% (thirty percent) of the entire amount
* Less than 7 days before arrival: 50% (fifty percent of the entire amount).
- Arrivals and departures: As already mentioned, you will be met at the airport or at the port and accompanied to the house. Please let us know the exact arrival time of your flight together with the name of the airline and the flight number at least 15 days before your depart. On the day of departure you will normally be required to leave the house by mid-day. In case of need (and always provided that the house is not otherwise booked), however, it will be possible to postpone your departure.
- Liability: Should you, or any other persons who come to visit you, cause damage to the house or its contents, you will be held responsible for the damage and the costs deriving therefrom will be charged to you at the moment of departure. We decline all responsibility for any harm you may suffer due to events connected with the use of the house, of the garden (including the rocks in front of the sea) including physical injury and material damage and losses suffered as a result of fire, robbery or any other kind of criminal activity.
2 bedrooms, 1 living room, 1 kitchen, large veranda, 1 bathroom, parking
Veranda with great dining table and, just a few steps away, the cane lounge suite, where you can relax and enjoy the fresh air sweeping in from the beach. The ample drawing room is well equipped for many different activities: music, television, video recorder, a large table for games and writing (and also eating if you wish), a suite with divan and armchairs.
The kitchen, equipped to meet all the culinary needs of the guests, is organized with a block consisting of a cook top with five gas-fired burners and an electric oven, kitchen utensils for preparing even the most elaborate of meals, a mixer/liquidizer, a toaster, a kettle for making tea and a set of variously sized coffee percolators for espresso coffee.
There are two bedrooms, one with two single beds and the other with a double bed, 2 m long by 1.80 m wide. The double bedroom looks out on the garden and the sea. The double curtains and the windows, which open either way, enable you to regulate the light and the air that come into the room just as you prefer. The two bedrooms have air-conditioned with the temperature in each room being individually controlled.
The bathroom is equipped with a large brick-built shower cubicle, a bidet, hot and cold water, a hair drier. The house can accommodate up to 7 people, using the sofa bed in the living room. It's possible to add a folding bed for one child. The car can be parked in the space set aside for this purpose in the courtyard of the house.
Location & Nearby Attractions:
Mahé, largest island of the Seychelles, is undoubtedly one of the world’s most beautiful islands thanks to its seventy-odd beaches of splendid white sand, each having a particular character of its own, its verdant tropical flora, hills and mountains covered by a luxuriant vegetation, and its striking rock formations of pure granite that often come right down to the sea. The island covers an area of little more than fifty square miles, is some 17 miles long and has a width of about 4.5 miles; the highest mountain, Morne Seychellois, rises to some 3050 feet above sea level.
Victoria, the island’s capital (about 15 minutes by car from our home), has about twenty thousand inhabitants and must surely be one of the world’s smallest capitals. Heart of the economic and political life of the archipelago, its lively and ever busy streets with its wealthy of shops can be enjoyed on foot. At the centre of a picturesque neighbourhood full of old-time colonial houses, you will find Market Street with its covered market in typical Creole style, where the many stalls, full of fresh fish and vegetables, will convey to you the colours and the flavour of local life. The market is open Monday to Friday from 7.00 a.m. to 4 p.m., while on Saturdays it opens at 6.00 a.m. and closes at noon. But Saturday morning is a particularly interesting moment for visiting it.
Within 15 minutes by car of our home, you will find the famous beach of Beau Vallon, two long miles of incredibly fine and white sand, where you can loll in the shade of its palms and Takamaka trees. Beloved and preferred by both locals and tourists, it is particularly suitable for families with children on account of its calm waters and is also a great favourite with those who love a stroll by the side of the sea and end it with a refreshing drink or by enjoying some fresh fish at one of the restaurants they will find on their way. Here we shall mention only the beaches we love best, leaving you the joy of discovering and exploring the others:
- Anse Soleil and Petit Anse, can be reached by leaving the car at a certain point and then covering the final short distance on foot. Two splendid beaches hidden by a dense vegetation and surrounded by granite rocks.
- Anse Intendance, immense, spectacular and only barely known, a place where you can walk alone for miles on end.
- Anse Royale, excellent for swimming and exploring the sea bottom, a hunting ground for fishermen with their characteristic pirogues.
- Baie Lazare, a fine large beach surrounded by green promontories, with calm waters for a good swim and beautiful pathways that invite you to explore the interior.
- Anse Takamaka, which takes its name from the typical leaf-lade trees that offer their shade all along the beach.
Another thing that lovers of tropical vegetation should not miss is a visit to the Botanical garden, situated in the southern part of the city, at a locality known as Mont Fleur. Thoroughly well cared for, it displays all the botanical species endemic in the islands, especially the magnificent “Coco de mer” and many other exotic species. Open every day from 6.00 a.m. to 6.00 p.m. is a must. It is located in the southern part of the city, in the locality of Mont Fleuri. This very well looked after garden contains every endemic botanical species of the Seychelles, including the magnificent “Coco de Mer” and other exotic species.
Open every day from 6 am to 6 pm. Another beautiful island to visit is Silhouette, the third-largest island of the archipelago, situated about 20 kilometres to the south of Mahé and completely surrounded by coral reefs. It is not always open to daily tourism. Apart from its uncontaminated beaches, there are numerous paths to follow on foot to take you through the forest and to the top of a mountain reaching 2035 feet. When you are tired to tan, you can take wonderful walks in the beautiful Morne Seychellois National Park along its various paths that cross the tropical forest that covers the central area of the island.
We would suggest the itineraries described in “Seychelles in your pocket”, a little guide book revised each year and readily available in the island’s shops. In any case, you will find a copy also at Villa Rochelle. You shouldn’t miss also the luxuriant spice garden “Le Jardin du Roi” situated in the hill area 2 km from Anse Royale. Following the path among growing and forest, visitors are invited to catch and taste the star fruit and other tropical delicacies. At the end of the walk, you can have a rest while trying a fruit juice or a fresh salad, in the pleasant restaurant-café where you will enjoy a wonderful view to the coast.
- Prices are stated in Euro and are to be understood as rates per night, i.e. for the house, and not per person.
- The weekly rates relate to a week of seven nights.
- The minimum stay is 5-7 nights (it depends on the period).
- Children (0-6 years) pay half price.
- The prices comprise:
* Bed and bathroom linen (to be changed once a week)
* Utilities (electricity, water, gas)
* The daily cleaning from Monday to Friday (holidays excluded)
* Taxes, VAT.
- Caution: Upon arrival you will be required to make a cautionary deposit of € 200, which will be returned to you at the end of your stay (less any damage caused to the apartment).
- Down payment: When you confirm the booking, you will be required to make a down payment of 20% (twenty percent) of the total amount.
- This down payment may be made as follows: Credit card (Visa, Mastercard); Bank transfer.
When you have made the down payment and communicated the details, you will receive a written confirmation of the booking via e-mail or fax.
- The balance of the agreed amount is to be paid in Cash or Traveler's checks upon arrival to the house.
- Prices are increased by 20% during August, Easter, Christmas and New Year periods.
- Prices can change according to the number of people.
Joined InfoHub: Apr 2010
Client Request Served: 0
Believe it or not, but it is perfectly possible to have an unforgettable holiday in the Seychelles without touching their luxury hotels and resorts, in the intimacy of a home with all its comforts, to live the atmosphere and splendor of an island unique in the world and full of surprises.
Our company you will thus...
View this supplier profile | Submit your review
Email it to a friend:
Click here to email this vacation to a friend