From the large, first floor makuti-covered veranda you can watch the dhows come and go, collecting sand and delivering coral blocks and fish. The house is built of coral block, plastered in the local neru finish, tinted a soft ochre-yellow. It is designed along traditional lines around an inner courtyard, which holds a very private swimming pool, cooling the public rooms and bedrooms. On arrival by boat it is a 2-minute walk up to the house, along a makeka path, past 2 giant cycads, by way of two footbaths with floating frangipani flowers, onto the welcome shade of the wrap around terrace.
When you enter the house, you can see right through it, across the internal courtyard and pool with its marvelous palm tree, into the garden beyond. The entry hall has a baraza area, a large cushioned day sofa and a dining area, leading into the inner courtyard with its beautiful deep clear pool. The four guest bedrooms are all accessed from the inner courtyard and are simply furnished with ensuite shower rooms and their own private verandas. The verandas have a writing desk, occasional table, chairs and a traditional Lamu day bed.
There is a covered baraza area behind the pool that can also be used for sleeping which leads through an ancient carved door onto a wooden deck with two swinging beds. The roof is one huge terrace, partially covered with makuti to provide a shaded bar, eating and sitting area. Here, at the back of the house overlooking simply everything, is a wonderfully cool and spacious master wing, with its private salon, ensuite dressing room and bathroom area. The kitchen is separate and holds the water tanks and solar panels on the upper roof, plus staff rooms, washrooms and storerooms. Frangipani, jasmine and lime trees have been planted in abundance around the house, which comes fully staffed with cook, room/table steward, laundress, boat captain and gardener.
- 4 Double bedrooms ensuite
- 1 Twin bedroom ensuite
- 3 Dining areas
- 3 Baraza areas
- 1 Guest cloakroom
- Massage table
- 2 Swinging beds
- 10 m pool.
- Fully-equipped separate kitchen
- Large planted garden
- Laundry room
- Beach shower
- Powered by wind turbine and solar panels
- Solar hot water.
- Reservations for connecting flights from Nairobi, Mombasa or Malindi can be organized. Lamu airstrip to Kizingoni return boat transfer is included in the rental price.
- Please email us your requested dates and we will advise you on availability. Once availability is confirmed, an invoice will be forwarded to you and your booking confirmed on receipt of a 25% deposit of the rent quoted. After sending the invoice, we allow for one week to receive the deposit. If we do not hear anything after one week, we will be obliged to give the dates out to the next request.
- On receipt of your 25% deposit, we will send you a confirmation and a statement. The balance of the rental is due 70 calendar days before arrival in Lamu.
- Cancellation fees are 25% up to 70 days before arrival, 75% up to 35 days before arrival and 100% after 35 days before arrival.
- For Christmas and New Year bookings, a 50% non-refundable deposit will be required to reserve your booking. The balance of the rental is due 80 calendar days before your arrival in Lamu and is non-refundable.
- All meals
- House wines
- Beers, selected spirits (vodka,gin) and soft drinks.
- Low Season Rates apply from 17 Apr–16 Jul (minimum stay 3 nights)
- High Season Rates apply from 15 Jan–16 Apr and 17 Jul–17 Dec (minimum stay 7 nights)
- Christmas/New Year Rates apply from 18 Dec–14 Jan (minimum stay 10 nights).
About This Supplier
Joined InfoHub: May 2010
Client Request Served: 1
M20285 is a collection of seven beautifully designed, privately owned, secluded beachfront houses on Lamu Island, part of the Lamu archipelago off the north coast of Kenya. The houses are imaginatively designed and finished to the very highest standards, fully furnished in colonial Arab Swahili style – with tropical...
View this supplier profile | Submit your review
Email it to a friend:
Click here to email this vacation to a friend