Situated in Quartier Riad Laarouss, just a few minutes’ walk north of Djemaa el Fna, in the very heart of the ancient medina of Marrakech, Maison Africa is a classic Marrakech riad, originally dating back to the 17th century. Available exclusively for private Marrakech holiday rentals this beautifully restored, luxurious and highly sought after Marrakech holiday home retains many of its original features and is tastefully furnished with rich local fabrics, hand-crafted rugs and hand-made furniture.
Maison Africa is a true haven of peace and quiet for guests seeking a truly private Marrakech retreat from the melee of bustling souks. Elegantly enhanced with several stylish features including a courtyard plunge pool for summer cooling and roaring log fires for winter warming, this luxury Marrakech riad has three plush en-suite bedrooms and a large open-plan salon/dining room.
Elevated above the neighbouring riads of Marrakech, the views from Riad Africa’s private roof terrace are magnificent with the trees and public gardens of Sidi Bouamer to the north and, in winter, the snow-capped peaks of the Atlas to the south. Relax under the shade of our rooftop tent during the day and enjoy an early evening barbecue and chilled glass of local wine from your own exclusive terrace bar at night.
Perfect for groups of friends and families or even as a luxurious Marrakech honeymoon retreat, Maison Africa offers a housekeeper and cook, and can accommodate up to 9 guests. For those keen to dine Moroccan-style, a well-equipped kitchen is stocked with a range of spices from the nearby souk, and our local cook can prepare a tasty selection of Moroccan recipes. Alternatively, a choice of fine restaurants and cafés are only a few steps away.
- We’ve taken time to personally source, inspect and partner with suitable private rental properties in Essaouira and the High Atlas Mountains to offer you an equivalent rental experience to that of Maison Africa, together with an exclusive Sahara Desert Camp.
- We can also arrange private transfers to your chosen destination. So whether you prefer to stay for a few days in Maison Africa or perhaps a week, take a look at some of our Moroccan holiday ideas – you might just be tempted to extend your trip and see a bit more of Morocco!
- The courtyard and pool. An arabesque-style bab ed dar door opens into Maison Africa’s courtyard from a well-lit medina street to reveal a zelliges tiled fountain and translucent plunge pool, shadowed by exotic palms and a twinsided three-storey Marrakech abode adorned with Moroccan arches, hanging lanterns and ornate iron railings. The courtyard is an ideal place for a typical Moroccan breakfast (prepared by our cook) of freshly squeezed juice, coffee, omelet, pancake or croissant serenaded by morning birdsong.
- Beautiful roof terrace. The banana and orange tree-filled roof terrace of Maison Africa is quite unique compared to many other Riads in Marrakech due to its elevation. Standing up above all of its neighbours, the views from the terrace of medieval minarets, medersas and mosques, High Atlas peaks and lofty date palms are near unsurpassed. Well-equipped, the terrace has four sun-loungers with tables and chairs to seat up to 12 people. A traditional roof tent provides shade during the day and a cosy place to sleep at night. The magical atmosphere of the medina (assisted by a barbecue and private corner bar) will tempt you to balmy evenings of candle-lit dinners under a star-filled African sky.
- The Imperial suite. Sleeps up to 3. On the ground floor is the largest of the bedrooms, the "Imperial" suite, complete with a huge king-size bed and hand-made cedar wood furniture. An en-suite bathroom offers "his and her" traditional brass washbasins set into a marble surround, hammered brass feature mirror, a toilet and a tadelakt-lined bath/shower tub big enough for two! For the added comfort of our guests the room also offers a chaise-style sofa (which can be used as a single bed for a child). A view of Riad Africa’s shimmering plunge pool through the arches of the ornate cedar doors adds to the appeal of this grand bedroom.
- The Atlas suite. Sleeps up to 4. Perfect for a family with two children (or four adults), the "Atlas" suite has two single beds in the main bedroom and a funky elevated mezzanine area with two single beds beds reached by a cedar wood staircase. Arabesque-style double doors open into a spacious en-suite bathroom with corner spa bath/shower set into a marble surround, white ceramic washbasin, cedar window shutters, a toilet and ornate hand-made mirror.
- The Sahara suite. Sleeps 2. With a corner-fireplace and a private balcony overlooking the courtyard below, the "Sahara" suite is influenced by the vibrant colours of Morocco’s deep Sahara Suite. With a corner-fireplace and a private balcony overlooking the courtyard below, the "Sahara" suite is influenced by the vibrant colours of Morocco’s deep south and offers intimacy, space and privacy. A huge king-size bed, intricately painted leather Sahara stools and a built-in wardrobe sit comfortably in a tall-beamed room with adobe decorations and pale terracotta walls. Arabesque-style double doors open into a spacious en-suite bathroom with an extra wide bath with shower set into a marble surround, white ceramic washbasin, cedar window shutters, a toilet and ornate hand-made mirror.
For the added comfort of our guests all of the rooms also offer a top of the range:
- "LG Plasma" air conditioning/heater unit
- A hair dryer
- Satellite TV (with numerous English-language channels).
Location & Nearby Attractions:
Marrakech is one of Morocco's famous Imperial cities. Renowned for its wonderful climate and for a setting as remarkable as it is varied, it is currently one of the world's top travel hotspots. With palaces and palm groves, rose gardens, and a backdrop of the snow-capped peaks of the High Atlas mountains it is the capital of the Moroccan South, a cultural crossroads and keeper of tradition and folklore. The ancient pink-walled medina contains a wealth of rich architectural heritage, and the real highlight - Place Djemaa el Fna - is like no other square in the world!
The rich history of Marrakech is reflected in its numerous attractions. This is a city for culture-vultures and a couple of days is simply not enough to fully discover the wealth of attractions this city offers. The minaret of Koutoubia Mosque is the landmark and emblem of the city and a good starting point. Place Djemaa el Fna is at the heart of the action with the covered souks to the north of the square. Other important quarters within the old city ramparts include Kasbah and Mellah (the Jewish quarter), both in the south and close to the Royal Palaces (closed to visitors). Main attractions include the Saadien Tombs, Dar Si Said Museum, Musee de Marrakech and Ben Youssef Medersa. Take your pick!
A number of day trips are possible from Marrakech for travelers just spending a few days in the city. Popular options include a day trip to a typical Berber village in the Atlas or the the Ourika Valley. Camel rides are an option, though perhaps best done in the Sahara. Quad bike trips, bicycle hire and a scenic balloon flight are other options, we can help you with booking any of these excursions. Families may enjoy a visit to Oasiria, a water park with beach.
Maison Africa fact file:
- Maximum occupancy - 9
- Bedroom suites - 3 (Imperial, Sahara and Atlas suites)
- Beds - 7 (2 king size beds, 4 single beds and 1 sofa bed)
- Bathrooms - 3 (en-suite with bath/shower, WC and washbasins)
- Living areas: large salon, courtyard and roof terrace
- Kitchen very well equipped to cater for 10
- Open fireplaces - 2 (one in the salon, one in Sahara room)
- Air conditioning/heaters - 4 LG wall-mounted electric units
- TV with Astra satellite - 4 with English language channels
- Patio/courtyard - with palm tree and pool
- Roof terrace - seating for 12 + 4 sun loungers
- Plunge pool - with tiled wall fountain
- Rooftop bar - corner bar with barbecue
- Rooftop tent - ideal for outdoor sleep outs
- Washing machine - Bosch 7 kg load
- Dishwasher - Bosch large load
- Fridge/freezer - Bosch with wine cooler
- Stereo - LG with iPod player
- DVD player - with selection of movies
- Play station 2 - with selection of games
- Laptop - with Skype and MSN
- Internet access - hi-speed via cable/wireless
- Spa bath - corner bath with spa
- Other kitchen - microwave, toaster, kettle, juicer
- Mobile phone - local mobile included for guest use
- Fixed line telephone - available for incoming calls
10% discount for InfoHub customer. Request a free gift certificate.
Group size from 1 to 6 people:
£160 GBP (US$256) per night.
Group size from 7 to 12 people:
Add £10 GBP for each additional person per night (US$16) per night.
Included in Price
* Exclusive private rental of whole riad
* Mint tea and Moroccan pastries on arrival
* Typical Moroccan breakfast
* Mineral water in room
* Wireless internet connection
* 10% local sales tax (TVA)
* Loan of local mobile phone
Light Lunch - £10 GBP (US$16) per person
Evening Meal – £17 GBP (US$27) per person
1 to 4 People - £15 GBP (US$24) per transfer
5 to 8 People - £30 GBP (US$48) per transfer
Note: Prices based on one way private charter with meet and greet service between Marrakech airport and Maison Africa (or vice-versa). Rates for groups of 9 people and above on request.
50% deposit at time of booking
Balance due 56 days prior to arrival
Joined InfoHub: Sep 2010
Client Request Served: 3
We are a UK and Marrakech-based tour operator specializing in scheduled private vacations throughout Morocco, including the Imperial Cities, Sahara Desert, Marrakech and High Atlas Mountains. With over 15 years experience of operating exclusive tours to Morocco, we meticulously plan and deliver innovative Morocco...
View this supplier profile | Submit your review
Email it to a friend:
Click here to email this vacation to a friend