Darjeeling is hemmed in by Sikkim in the north, Nepal in the west and Bhutan in the east. Darjeeling town, Kalimpong and Kurseong are the major urban centres. Heavy influenced by British India, Darjeeling still carries imprints reminiscent of its colonial past. The toy is on of the most striking examples of Darjeeling 's British Raj influence.
Darjeeling town (elevation 2,134 m) is located on a spur with houses hugging the hillside.
The places to visit are:
* Chowrasta, a wide promenade atop a ridge lined with shops and restaurants;
* Mall Road, starting and splendid views;
* Padmaja Naidu Himalayan Zoological Park which has the Siberian tiger, Himalayan black bear, red panda, snow leopard and many other animal and bird species, and the nearby snow leopard breeding centre
* Himalayan Mountaineering Institute, a training centre for mountaineers which also houses the Everest museum;
* Natural History Museum, with its fine display of Himalayan wildlife.
* Observatory Hill which has Hindu and Buddhist shrine
* Tibetan Refugee Self-Help Centre, a major center for the production of Tibetan carpets, woodwork and leather goods
* Thupten Sangag Choling (Dali) and Yiga - Choling(Ghoom) - the Buddhist monasteries of Bhutan Busty
* Batasia Loop, a marvelous feat of railway engineering
* Tiger Hill for its renowned sunrise view over Kanchenjunga and the eastern Himalayan.
* Japanese Peace Pagoda, established by the Japanese Buddhist order, Nipponzan Myohoji; and Lloy's Botanical Garden which has a varied collection of Himalayan flora.
Visitors can also stake a ride in the Darjeeling - Rangit valley passenger cable car or hop on the toy train which wheezes and winds all the way from Siliguri to Darjeeling town via Kurseong.
Duration: 9 days(12,000 ft)
This nine-day trek beginning and ending in Darjeeling takes you along the famed "Singalila range" to Sandakphu (12,000 ft) and Phalut (11,800 ft). On the way you will pass through spectacular forests of silver fir, rhododendrons, chestnuts, oaks, magnolias and hemlock. A springtime trek reveals not only stunning views of the mountains but whole hillsides covered with rhododendron and magnolia flowers. A post monsoon trek reveals the mountains in crispier glory when the rains have washed away the haze. The trail from Sandakphu to Phulut is an exhilarating experience and one can see four of the world's highest mountains: Everest, Makalu, Lhotse and Kanchenjunga in one glance.
1: After arrival at Bagdogra airport, another 4 hour drive by road will reach you to Darjeeling which is at an elevation of 2134 m and around 80 kms from Bagdogra
2: Sightseeing in Darjeeling
3: Drive to Maneybhanjyang (2134m,21km;1hr)Trek to Gairibas (2621m; 20km; 5hr)
4: Trek Gairibas - Sandakphu (3636m; 15km; 4hr)
5: Trek Sandakphu-Phalut (3600m; 21km; 5hr)
6: Trek Phalut-Ramam (2560m; 14km; 5hr)
7: Trek Ramam-Rimbick (2296m; 19km; 5hr)
8: Drive to Darjeeling (2134m; 72km; 4hr)
9: Departure transfer from Darjeeling
About This Supplier
Email it to a friend:
Click here to email this vacation to a friend