Descending the staircase and crossing the three level stratification beneath St. Clement Basilica, we will go back in time to the 4th century Basilica and to the even earlier remains of the ancient cult of Mytra, which has been remarkably well preserved. One can even hear the water flowing, as did at that time, working is way down to the Tiber. We will than admire the medieval basilica of the XII century A.D. housing one of the most ancient Christian mosaics of Rome. Finally we will reach the close site of the roman domus beneath the Church of SS. Giovanni and Paolo situated on the “Clivio of Scauro” on the Coelian hill. The domus contains a part of the relics of the two martyrs to which the Church is entitled, remarkable late roman frescos and a nympheum.
- Tour Details:
* Tour duration: 9:30 am - 13:30 a.m.
* Meeting place: In front of the subway station “Colosseum” at 9:30 a.m.
- St. Clement underground Basilica entrance fee: 5 EUR
- Roman domus entrance fee: 6 EUR
- The roman domus beneath the Church of St. Giovanni and Paolo are closed to the public on Tuesday and Wednesday.