I am fascinated by London’s richness and diversity and take great pride in bringing it to life for my guests. Here are some of my most popular themes:
• Royal London and its majestic heritage such as Buckingham Palace and the changing of the Guard, Kensington Palace, Hampton Court Palace as well as the Tower of London and Windsor Castle.
• The great churches of London, St Paul’s Cathedral, Westminster Abbey and St Bartholomew the Great.
• Museums and galleries such as the British Museum, the Victoria & Albert Museum, the British Galleries, Somerset House and the Gilbert Collection.
• Shakespeare’s literary legacy, the Globe Theatre and the splendour of the South Bank.
• Theatre-land, the West End and Covent Garden.
• The cities, towns and villages that exist within Greater London, such as the City of Westminster and the Houses of Parliament, seat of the world’s oldest democracy, Kensington and the enchanting town of Richmond or the villages of Petersham and Barnes in the west. Not forgetting the many different cultures that exist e.g. Indian London from the Pubjab and Southall to Bangadesh in Brick Lane.
• The City of London itself, one of the World’s most formidable financial and banking centres steeped in history such as the epic stories of plague and fire.
My recent London walking tours have included:
• Fleet Street – lawyers, printing and publishing
• City of London – plague, fire and finance
• Southwark and the City – the past pleasures of inner city London
• Blackfriars and St Paul’s Cathedral – medicine in the City
• East End – silk, warehouses and migration
• Westminster and Parliament – the seat of democracy
• St James’s – the oldest shops in London
• Bloomsbury – writers and London University
• Greenwich – Cutty Sark, the Royal Observatory, maritime history and the Naval College
• Rotherhithe, Bermondsey and Surrey Quays – the London Docklands, historic and restored
• Piccadilly and Soho – London’s party scene, entertainment and nightlife
• Chelsea – poets, painters and plant hunters
• Covent Garden – theatreland, markets and street performers
I also take tours around the rest of the UK, visits to the great landscapes, gardens, churches, and historical monuments of our provincial towns and cities. I have even helped people trace their ancestors and family histories! It couldn't be easier. I'll organise car, coach, lunch, tea etc and take you to visit precisely what you'd like to see. A typical day might start with a visit to one of England's beautiful gardens, lunch at an old pub or coaching inn, a drive through the countryside past thatched cottages, trout streams and ancient forests, winding up with a visit to a stately home and afternoon tea amongst the roses.