Start of our visit on the World Famous gigantic square “Grand Place”. The Town Hall was built from 1.402 to 1.445 and raises majestically, (visit options), surrounded by 16 and 17th Centuries’ mostly well preserved attractive old houses each having its proper secret and history. In the area, we won’t miss to pay a visit to our Local National Pride, “Manneken-Pis”! We will take a break, and savor a “real Brussels Waffle”!
Continuing our visit, passing (stopping), The Grand-Sablon, that became a famous Antiques Market, and admire the “Notre Dame” Church, another jewel of the Capital, with its marvelous, nine original marvelous stained-glass windows! Further, “Up Town”, we will admire The Justice Palace, the biggest in the World. Having from there, a nice “vista point” and a great panorama on the Lower Town. Furthermore, we will discover the Avenue Louise with its Fashion Boutiques area, ending at the Bois De La Cambre, our “Central Park” and the Avenue Franklin Roosevelt, especially known for expensive houses but also for the Initial Building of the first Brussels’ University.
We will gently return to the Center, passing the Abbaye de la Cambre, almost forgotten beauty on all tours, and pass the European Union area. Brussels is not only the Capital of Belgium but also of Europe. Having a little exercise by climbing the stairs of our wonderful “Cinquantenaire” Arch built in 1887, to celebrate the ”Fiftieth Anniversary” of Belgium’s Independence. The view “up there” is really majestic. Then passing the “King’s Palace”, the St. Michael and St. Gudula Cathedral, recently renovated after almost 50 years renovation works!
To end the tour, this is my pride, we will visit the “popular area” starting at Place de la Chapelle, to end at Place St. Gery, (where Brussels started) and the Place St. Catherine (ex-fish market) area. This part of the town was deserved by “canals” up to the end of the 19th Century, and was the general food market of the City. Unfortunately, all these canals were covered and became streets, but to remember these good old days and the atmosphere, all streets kept their original “quay” name. This tour can be extended by visiting the Atomium, built in 1958, a survivor of the World Fair and the Royal Palace, the King’s everyday Residence. We also pass plenty of most interesting museums. All these visits are possible, together or on your own.
Email it to a friend:
Click here to email this vacation to a friend
US: , ext: 16932
Outside US, please use a number below and enter the extension "16932" when prompted:
UK: 01865 52 2588
Australia: 08 8121 5884
Note: If unavailable, leave a voicemail for the supplier to call you back.