Return to the 40's, 50's and 60's as we explore the Belmont section of the Bronx: New York’s "real" Little Italy. We’ll stroll the busy streets among the numerous mom and pop specialty food and gift shops and restaurants. Along the way, we'll sample the tastes that make this a destination for those in search of the best Italian specialties the city has to offer: bureks,crusty bread, olives, cheese, sausage, pastry and, of course, pizza. Once the home of the landed gentry (the Lorillards of tobacco fame) it became a mecca for Italian immigrants at the turn of the 20th century. They came to build the Botanical Gardens and the Bronx Zoo. (A visit to either is a great way to enhance your day in the Bronx.)
During your exploration of Belmont you will:
- See the work of one of the most talented stone cutters of his day, Attilio Piccarilli, creator of the Lincoln Memorial
- Visit The Arthur Avenue Retail Market: the first enclosed market in the city
- See the cigar rollers at La Casa Grande Tobacco Co. A favorite of the cast of the Sopranos, Rudy Guiliani and many other cigar afficionados
- Visit the corner where Dion and the Belmonts sang a cappella
- Visit multiple unique food shops and taste some of their special treat
- Witness a cheese making demonstration
- Learn fun facts about the area along the way.
Take a “Walkabout” the Bronx and experience the “real” Little Italy!
- Inside Grand Central Station (Midtown Manhattan, NY)
- Tour duration varies from 2,5 hours to 3 hours
- Exact meeting location details will be provided immediately upon purchase of tickets.
Joined InfoHub: Jun 2005
Client Request Served: 85
M05120 provides walking tours throughout NYC since 2002. M05120 is a member of NYC&Co. Susan is a member of GANYC-the Guide Association of NYC. She is a native New Yorker her goal is to impart her love of NY to you and take you to places that are unique to New York – especially places that you would not believe...
View this supplier profile | Submit your review
Email it to a friend:
Click here to email this vacation to a friend