In this retreat, you'll come away with the solid beginnings of a memoir in food and a script to take with you to keep the stories coming. You'll be encouraged:
- To listen for the small voice of the forgotten story
- To read with an embodied voice
- Apply techniques for entrance, access and retrieval of the deeper story
- The method Writing through the Body
- To build a writing community
- How to create a literal book of your written Harvest
Addendum: As serendipitous as things often are, I found a book just as I was finishing this blurb that dovetails with this workshop: Paula Butturini's Keeping the Feast: Send me titles of your finds and favorites.
Resume: Andrea Steffens, Ph.D, CTS.
Education: Ph.D., Hawthorne University, San Francisco, (now Sierra University, Santa Monica, CA) M.A., California State University, Sonoma, Post-Graduate training includes; Traumatic Stress Studies; Conjoint Family Therapy; Depth Psychology (Jungian psychotherapy), expressive arts therapy.
Educator and Lecturer: Colleges and universities since 1975 with emphasis on trauma, family and community studies, expressive arts and autobiographical writing and performance. Presenter/facilitator at conferences.
- Certified Traumatologist, Green Cross Academy of Traumatology
- Certified Trauma Specialist, Association of Traumatic Stress Specialists
- Certified Marriage and Family Therapist, Washington State
- Certified Expressive Therapist, National Expressive Therapist Association
- Certified practitioner: Rebonding with the Body, Dana Mulvihill, child psychiatrist, Vancouver, Canada
- California lifetime teaching credential.
Professional Experience: Private counseling, consulting practice
Specialty: trauma and PTSD. Founder/director of Arts and Trauma Training Center, St Paul, MN.
Trainer and developer of Writing Though The Body (a crafted writing technique) - memoir writing, arts Processes, mask making, ceramic tiles, collage, painting, voice, music, theatre, Writers Performing Jazz Ensemble (modified readers theatre). Media and Creative Work includes but not limited to radio producer, writer and talent, New York, California; performance artist; gallery artist; poet-in-residence; author; grant recipient/commissions. Writing: film script; helped students write a performance script, Hamilton High School, Hamilton, New York.
- Marin County (CA) Mental Health, in-patient and outpatient clinics
- Sonoma State University Counseling Center, American Lake Veterans
Hospital, Post Traumatic Stress in-patient unit.
Fifteen miles from Tlaxcala are the famous pre-Hispanic archeological sites of Xochitecatl and Cacaxtla with its original Mayan murals. Thirty miles to the east are the verdant pine mountainsides of La Malinche State Park. Lodges, picnic areas, hiking trails and food services are available. The 14,500 foot summit of the dormant volcano is reachable by a breath-taking day hike. The colonial city of Puebla famous for Talavera tiles and dishes is just 45 min. away for an afternoon visit. There are a wide variety of local events and festivals throughout the year.
Casa Carmelita is located in farmland about 5 miles outside of the city of Tlaxcala on the side of a seasonal lake. Various salons, rooms and nooks and crannies are available for general groups or private writing work. The grounds and gardens also are available for get-together, walks, meals or a quiet drink by one of the fountains.
Accommodations are available in the main house or detached garden cottage (the casita). All accommodations have in suite baths, sitting area and fireplaces (we are located at 7,000 feet. Nights and mornings are sometimes chilly).
Unlike an impersonal resort or hotel, we are available to respond to individual needs and as much as possible we structure activities to the interests of our guests.
Contact us for discounts that may be available.
Please take this quick survey and tell us, in your opinion, how original is this trip?
Also see Vacation Schools in: