4 Star's American Studies program is designed for students looking to spend the summer abroad in the United States, will help you increase your level of comfortably communicating in English, learn American history, government and culture, and experience the nuances of a college campus. Such instruction will allow those of you contemplating college enrollment at an American institution the skills to complete the college application process and expand your knowledge of American life.
Why choose a 4 Star Camps ESL program?
- Easy access to the University of Virginia in Charlottesville. Washington Dulles International airport offers non-stop service from Asia and Europe and is only 2 hours from Charlottesville. We meet your flight at the airport and drive you to camp.
- An immersion-style ESL experience for faster learning. Join 4 Star's camp family which consists of students and staff from around the United States and the world. Befriend and converse with many native English speakers all day long!
- Safe, well supervised surroundings. 4 Star's reputation is founded on superb supervision for our students. Our staff live in the dorms alongside students ensuring safety and accompany students in all activities.
- Live and learn at Mr. Jefferson's university. The University of Virginia was founded and designed by Thomas Jefferson, also one of America's founding fathers. The University is on UNESCO's prestigious World Heritage list. Classes are conducted in the same rooms used by the university's students during the year.
- Experience American history firsthand. Three U.S. presidents lived in and around Charlottesville - Thomas Jefferson, James Madison and James Monroe. Tour Jefferson's home, Monticello, and see his many inventions.
- Visit our nation's capital - Washington, DC.
- Interested in attending an American university? Get admissions information and tour Washington & Lee University in Lexington, Virginia, Duke University in Durham, North Carolina along with the University of Virginia. Plus you will have the opportunity to tour the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill as a weekend trip. Our staff arrange and accompany students on these tours.
- Participate in our golf or tennis or soccer camps during the afternoons or choose one of our many other options.
ESL and TOEFL Highlights
- Our low student teacher ratio creates a learning atmosphere that is both engaging and effective.
- A state-of-the art speech lab is used to record yourself speaking in order to listen and critique progress.
- Take home a CD-ROM from the speech lab to continue your practice.
- TOEFL Prep covers the 4 major areas of the TOEFL exam: reading, listening comprehension, speaking and writing. It will primarily focus on discussion techniques of the English language as it is spoken in conversation, reading passages as well as writing tips on grammar usage, style and spelling, organization and development and different types of essays.
- Receive the Official Guide to the New TOEFL iBT, which includes a CD-ROM providing total preparation for the actual on-screen test.
- Take an actual timed practice exam while at camp to assess where improvement is needed.
How better to increase English speaking and reading skills than in this immersion-style ESL experience? Along with structured classroom learning, you will venture out to nearby historical landmarks and UVA's own Library of Special Documents. This philosophy presents many opportunities to speak English and assimilate into the American culture, which reinforces the classroom work.
Instructors are experienced secondary school teachers, advanced graduate students and other professionals in their fields, hired for their expertise and dedication to young people. Classes are small and stress personal interaction between students and teachers.
Private tutoring is available at an additional fee.
Afternoon Activities include your choice of the following: Tennis Instruction, Golf Instruction, Recreational Sports, Fine Arts, Soccer, SCUBA or Personal Fitness.
Summer evenings are a time to relax, socialize, and have fun. We have planned an impressive schedule of "just for fun" activities including bowling, capture the flag, karaoke, dinner out, dancing, pizza and birthday night, Ice Cream Social, at-camp and in-town movies, and more! Activities may vary depending on site.
Over the weekends campers will have the occasion to attend one-day, supervised excursions at a variety of locations on Saturday and Sunday. This is a wonderful opportunity to experience what Virginia and surrounding areas have to offer while reinforcing the friendships built during the week’s activities.
These excursions might include:
- King’s Dominion
- Busch Gardens
- WaterCountry USA
- Siteseeing in Washington, DC
- A trip to Virginia Beach
- Whitewater rafting.
Students are housed in university dorms at the University of Virginia. Our residential staff acts as big brothers and sisters to students, yet also provides supervision and mentoring. Living in a dorm is a great way to meet new friends, have fun, and learn how to live in a group setting.
Since most students come to the program not knowing anyone, each is assigned to a dorm group to facilitate meeting other campers. Each floor has its own Residential Advisor - experienced in residential life - and a better than four to one ratio of students to staff.
This system was designed to ensure student safety, the absolute best supervision, and a feeling of friendship and interaction among students and staff.
Roommates are assigned according to age and we make every effort to honor roommate requests. Two students share a dorm room although occasionally a student will be assigned to a single room. The rooms are comfortable with beds, desks, bureaus and closet for each student along with a mini-refrigerator in each room.
The residents' lounges are a great place to meet, play ping-pong or watch a movie. Right outside the dorms are open areas for throwing a frisbee around, playing some soccer, talking with friends and other activities.
A large part of the program occurs at and around the dorms where friends, socializing, and memories flourish. The university housekeeping staff cleans the common areas each day - you are responsible for keeping your own room clean.
About This Supplier
Joined InfoHub: Mar 2007
Client Request Served: 26
Positioning students for success since 1975. Whether preparing academically for that choice college, climbing a tennis ladder or playing competitive golf a specially designed camp program is available.
Located on the University of Virginia’s historic campus in Charlottesville; M16105 offers several co-ed camps,...
View this supplier profile | Submit your review
Please take this quick survey and tell us, in your opinion, how original is this trip?
Also see Vacation Schools in:
Email it to a friend:
Click here to email this vacation to a friend