Art workshop dates: May 19-21, June 9-11, August 18-20, 2017
Why Old Lyme for a workshop? At the turn of the century, a number of artists - Childe Hassam for one - working in a revolutionary style had developed a small colony of artists dedicated to the impressionist movement. They were invited to stay in the home of Miss Florence Griswold of Old Lyme. That home is now the famous Griswold Museum dedicated to Connecticut Impressionist Painting. The artists of that time had practiced their craft in France and soon discovered that the light of Old Lyme, cast on the rivers and landscapes of the area, is the same quality of light as found in Provence, France. This area has become very popular with local artists.
Old Lyme drew the attention of the early American Impressionists because the light in this area so closely resembles that of Provence.
- 5 day land and seascape painting workshop
- One-on-one painting and drawing instruction
- Demos in oils daily; individual critiques.
- Artist is responsible for all travel, meals and lodging expenses
- Car recommended
- We have some excellent living accommodations to recommend.
Our group size is usually around 10 artists, which ensures lots of individual attention. A supplies list will be sent to you when you register. Constructive critiques are held daily as well as a final critique of all paintings.
- Visit historic Essex/Old Lyme are beautiful New England Coastal Towns on the CT River
- Boating, fishing, swimming activities available; Old Lyme has a public beach on Long Island Sound, Rogers Lake at Hains Park, and boat landings on the Connecticut River and its tidal estuaries
- Enjoy art and maritime museums and antique shopping.
All travel and living expenses are the responsibility of the artist. You all should have your own hotel reservations in place for both workshops. We will provide some excellent suggestions for area hotels and inns.
10% discount for InfoHub customer. Request a free gift certificate.
Workshop fee: $295.00 (payable in full at registration).
About This Supplier
Joined InfoHub: May 2006
Client Request Served: 98
With over 20 years’ experience as a full-time artist, Sam concentrates his efforts to landscape painting and portrait commissions. His widely-acclaimed artists' workshops in Tuscany, Amalfi and Sicily Italy and the U.S. continues to grow in popularity. He now has over 50% of prior workshop participants joining...
View this supplier profile | Submit your review
Please take this quick survey and tell us, in your opinion, how original is this trip?
Also see Vacation Schools in:
Art and craft workshop
Email it to a friend:
Click here to email this vacation to a friend