In this workshop you will work toward a personal vision to create artistic, meaningful and provocative imagery with digital files or traditional color print film. The workshop will include:
* discussions and demonstrations to expand on the technical and aesthetic possibilities of photography
* presentation of our work at the end of the week
* excursions through the area and the neighboring hilltowns
* individual critiques with Anna
* Interact with the colors and light of the landscape, the architecture and the Tuscans
* Enhance and develop your photographic talents, surrounded by the rolling Chianti hills,
* Wander through the hilltowns and villages and experience, through the lens of your camera, the wonder of this inspiring regionAt the end of the week there will be the option to create Polacolor Image transfers and emulsion lifts from selected digital images or prints. All levels are welcome.
We will have our own studio within the monastery for making image transfer prints on paper, cloth and other surfaces. Those who wish to make transfers will be asked to bring Polacolor 669 film (or pay an additional small fee for the film). Some art papers and other surfaces will be supplied or can be found in the area.
Every day we will have adventures throughout Tuscany. Imagine sitting at a cafe in a medieval piazza watching the world go by AND capturing it with your camera!
* daily photography classes with Anna
* full day excursion to medieval Siena
* excursion to the renaissance city of Florence
* tour and tasting at a local Chianti winery
* other shooting excursions to area hilltowns, cemeteries, vineyards, etc.
* studio time to learn how to create Polaroid lifts and transfers
For friends or partners who want to come along, but are not photographers, there is also a painting workshop being offered during this same week.
Instructor Details: Anna Tomczak teaches workshops in Florida and various university, museum, and studio classrooms throughout the US, Italy and Spain. Her artist grants and residencies include Florida Individual Artist Fellowship; Polaroid Artist Support Program, Loft Nota Bene Artist Residency, Cadaques, Spain; Escape to Create Artist Fellowship, Seaside Institute, Florida. Anna's work in alternative processes - polaroid transfer, and hand painted silver prints - has been widely exhibited. Recent solo exhibitions include galleries in North Carolina, Florida and Spain. Her photographs are in museums and private and corporate collections including The Brooklyn Museum of Art, The Norton Museum of Art, City of Orlando Public Art Collection, Tampa Museum of Art, The Harn Museum of Art, Sony Latin-America, McGraw-Hill, NYC, and the Polaroid Corporate Art Collection. Publications include: The Georgia Review; View Camera Magazine; Camera Arts; Halifax Magazine. Anna's photographs have been cover art for several books, including novels (Alice Adams); translations (Mandelbaum); poetry (Curbelo); and non-fiction (Nabhan) as well as several photographic texts and process books.
* Shared double room in restored monastery
* Daily traditional breakfast and dinner, including wine
* Daily photography classes with instructor
* Excursion to Siena
* Excursions to nearby hilltowns (Monteriggioni, Radda, Volpaia…) for painting and sight-seeing
* Pickup at Florence train station at 3:30 on first Saturday
* Transfers to bus/train station in Siena on final day
Does Not Include:
* Lunch (lite lunch is available for 15 euros on the days we are not on excursions)
* Local bus transportation
* Photography supplies
* Independent meals and sight-seeing
The Tuscan Renaissance Center is the combined skills of Linda and Michael of Il Chiostro joining together with Nicolo and Renata of San Fedele to produce a unique and inspiring environment rooted in the traditional Tuscan values of beauty, great food, an appreciation for nature and the value of community. The monastery, dating back to the 12th century, was meticulously restored using traditional building methods and all original materials. Today, the monastery remains true to its original spirit, rich architectural detail. The 17 rooms and suites where participants are housed have lovely modern bathrooms, screened windows, air conditioning, period furniture, wi-fi internet service, satellite television and minibar, all designed to perfectly compliment the medieval surroundings.
The original soaring chapel is now used as a large art studio or workshop space. The monks` refectory, where a lost 16th century fresco was uncovered during renovation, is now the dining room connected to a state-of-the-art kitchen and the old stone cantinas where they stored their wine have been transformed into studio and classroom space.
The Tuscan Renaissance Center is a unique meeting of a historic landmark and exquisite modern day comfort. Accommodations are spacious shared double rooms or junior suites. Each room, because it was converted from the original structure of the monastery without altering the building, is unique in shape. Furnishings and decor were selected to coordinate with the historic, subdued feeling of the monastery, but in a comfortable, modern style. All rooms have two beds that can be separated into twins or combined into one large matrimonial. There is a sitting area, refrigerator, DSL wi-fi, television, air-conditioning, heating, modern private bathroom with shower, heated towel racks and hair dryers. There are a limited number of single rooms available at a supplement.
The back of San Fedele is surrounded by a large al fresco dining terrace with the original terra cotta tile designs reproduced down to the smallest details. The terrace overlooks the same organic vegetable and flower garden tended by the monks for centuries. Beyond are the rolling Chianti vineyards that make this part of Tuscany so breathtaking.
Other common spaces include 2 large classrooms carved into the rock of the ancient wine cellar, a large private piazza, a new 16 x 7 meter swimming pool and sprawling landscaped grounds on a rolling hillside.
- Shared double room in country villa
- Daily traditional breakfast and dinner, including wine
- Daily excursions to photograph the Tuscan and Chianti areas
- Excursion to Siena
- ½ day excursion to nearby hilltown (Monteriggioni, Radda, Volpaia…)
- Pick up from Florence train station at 3:30pm on arrival Saturday
- Transfer to bus/train station in Siena on final day.
- Photography supplies, papers
- Local bus transportation
- Independent meals and sight-seeing.
About This Supplier
Joined InfoHub: Apr 2008
Client Request Served: 30
We are Linda Mironti and Michael Mele, both Italian Americans, both with long backgrounds in the arts. Linda was a singer, then a chef, then a singer again. Michael a dancer/ choreographer turned fiction writer. In the spring of 1995 we created M18003 to give our friends and families an inspirational place to work on...
View this supplier profile | Submit your review
Please take this quick survey and tell us, in your opinion, how original is this trip?
Also see Vacation Schools in:
Photography and Film Workshops
Email it to a friend:
Click here to email this vacation to a friend