The course will have plenty of visits to the most important venues which are all located a short walk from the school. That is the greatest privilege for the student at the AEF, and that is what puts the school ahead from all the others, during your visit you will have guided tours to the famous museums, gardens, churches, etc and get to see first-hand the greatest artistic patrimonies of humanity. You can also revisit these places with your fellow students during your free hours. The masterpieces of the 15th and the 16th centuries will be analyzed and interpreted. Among the artists featured are Giotto, Masaccio, Botticelli, Brunelleschi, Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and Raphael.
In addition, the lives and philosophies of the artists are studied. Artists are studied and discussed in class in terms of their working environment, life events, and personal styles and characteristics. The social situation of the period will also be studied in order to better understand the development of the artists' mindset. Because of its structure, the AEF’s art history course can be considered a detailed and comprehensive introduction to the general art history as well as to Florentine Renaissance history. The Italian artistic heritage is immense and, above all, on display in the streets, squares, monuments, churches, hidden corners, small town centers, parks, gardens, and the countryside which all deliver powerful testimony to the richness of this artistic legacy.
The main topics of the Art History course are:
- Cimabue, Giotto and Duccio: the Tuscan painters of the 13th century
- Filippo Brunelleschi: The renewal of Florentine architecture
- Donatello and the rebirth of Florentine sculpture
- Painting in the Early Renaissance: Masaccio, Filippo Lippi, Paolo Uccello: the birth of perspective
- The Quattrocento and art at the time of the Medici: Botticelli and Domenico Ghirlandaio
- Leonardo da Vinci: l'apice del Rinascimento
- Leonardo da Vinci, Michelangelo and Raphael: the climax of the Renaissance
Also see Study Abroads in:
University Study Abroad Europe Italy