We encourage volunteers to bring their own ideas, plans, projects and papers to write- or you may want to get involved in one or more of our ongoing projects:
1) Forests for Water: our mission is to restore the Brazilian Atlantic Forest to create more habitat for endangered species and restore the water sources on which our local communities depend. But our vision extends far beyond the forests around Iracambi. We're embarking on a major reforestation effort because healthy forests act as major carbon sinks attacking climate change at its roots. Together with our neighboring farmers we aim to plant thousands of native tree seedlings to help the Atlantic Forest return to its former glory!
2) Young Eco-Leaders: provides vocational training for middle-school students by bringing them for the very first time out of the classroom and into the field to do hands-on conservation science in their rainforest community.
3) Ecosystems Monitoring:
• fauna and flora inventories
• forest monitoring: forest cover, growth, species competition
• water monitoring and stream ecology
• soil monitoring
• wildlife monitoring: setting camera traps
4) Marketing and Fundraising: ensuring the financial sustainability of Iracambi so that we can keep on doing great work far into the future. Volunteers with skills in social media, IT, marketing and fundraising are just as much environmentalists as those getting their hands dirty in the field.
5) Monkey Monitoring: recording sightings of monkeys and collecting data on forest geometry while creating new trails on Iracambi land. This will be used for the conservation of native monkey species
And there are plenty of other jobs to be done: making and maintaining forest trails, helping out in the tree nursery, sharing our skills with the local community, collecting data for our GIS, setting up and monitoring our camera traps.
Moreover, Iracambi also offers a homestay option with three local environmentalists who each respectively specialize in primatology, agro-ecology and organic farming. This provides volunteers with the opportunity to experience local community members’ sustainable lifestyle, understand their work in greater depth and practice Portuguese.
We look forward to hearing from you and seeing you at Iracambi so that together we can go on saving forests and changing lives!
About This Supplier
Also see Study Abroads in:
University Study Abroad South America Brazil
Email it to a friend:
Click here to email this vacation to a friend