|Questions and Answers
M11870, close to Punta Gorda, in Toledo, southern Belize, is the district’s premier inland resort.
1. How long has the business been operating and how did it start?
The business has been operating since March 2003. We built the lodge between November 2001-February 2003.
2. What is your company's mission?
To provide holidays of the highest quality which develop the individual's appreciation, understanding and knowledge of the reef and rainforest ecology, local history and culture
3. What does your company specialize in?
Our tours focus on nature, culture and adventure. We have natural history tours to Monkey river where guests can see crocodiles, monkeys, turtles and many species of birds as well as specific bird watching tours with our expert local guide. Adventure tours include cave swimming at Blue Creek,river kayaking, jungle hiking, snorkelling, manatee watching and swimming on the cayes. Cultural tours include visits to Florencio Mes a Mayan harpist and instrument maker, to Miguel choco an organic cocoa farmer and home visits to two women’s craft and food co-operatives and to a medicinal herb plantation tended by traditional Mayan healers.
4. Who is the founder or owner of the company and briefly describe his/her past activities?
Rob and Marta Hirons built the lodge. Rob had previously worked for twenty years for the British Council an organization focusing on cultural and education exchange between Britain and the more than 100 countries in which it operates.
5. What is your most popular travel package and why?
Our Mayan Footprints 4-day/3-night package gives an excellent introduction to the area, its people and culture and wealth of natural attractions. It includes visits to:
- Florencio Mes Mayan harpist and instrument maker and ambassador for Mayan music around the world.
- Lubaantun Mayan site Home of the Crystal Skull. Late classic site with unique architectural features
- Rio Blanco National Park Wonderful deep bathing pool below the waterfall. Cable suspension bridge on mile and a half jungle loop trail.
- Blue Creek Cave Hike to the cave entrance and swim upstream inside the cave through tall caverns. Adventure for every generation.
- Organic Cacao Farming Visit Miguel Choco’s house and kitchen garden where he grows dozens of species of exotic fruit and vegetable as a well as cocoa. Enjoy a home cooked vegetarian meal and sample the traditional cacao and corn drink
6. What is the best compliment you received from a client?
“We spent a few days at Big Falls with 3 generations of family members from 7 to 70. Rob and Marta made us feel at home. The food was great, and the quiet setting was inviting. Seeing the ruins and the local flavor of Belize was something I don't think you'll get with a big corporate run hospitality organization. More than anything, I appreciate Rob, Marta, and all of their very gracious staff attention to our special needs.”