Situated amidst majestic trees in the tranquil countryside on the County Meath and Cavan border, M13517 commands magnificent views of Lough Sheelin, a 4500 acre lake famous for it’s brown trout and liberally stocked perch and large pike.
The secluded setting and spacious, comfortable accommodation offer the visitor an exclusive retreat. The perfect situation to relax and unwind, away from the stresses and strains of modern city life, or as a venue for a private party or function.
The castle can be entered through a gateway to an inner courtyard and lawn, surrounded by a stone wall and trees. On the ground floor is a large entrance hall connecting the tower and sitting room. This large room, with a lovely open fireplace, has wide French Windows, giving a beautiful view across the lake.
One double bedroom, en-suite, has private access to the terrace and there are two other double rooms and a bathroom. In the tower there are two double, en-suite rooms, a spacious sitting room with fireplace. The accommodation is furnished throughout with antiques of excellent taste.
At night you could have the chance to see Myles O’Reilly, known as the Slasher, who stayed in the castle the day before he went into battle. It is thought that he is still haunting the castle to this day. There are supposed to be other ghosts, like Savannah, who is known to have died of a broken heart.
The Building of the stronghold to be known as the M13517 was begun by Richard Nugent, 12th Baron of Delvin, in the year 1533. The tower was completed by him in 1537. The great hall and further extensions were finished by his grandson and successor, Richard, the 13th Baron, by 1539.
The castle later fell into disrepair and was restored in 1864 by Anna Maria O’Reilly, a lineal descendant of Myles O’Reilly.