|Vietnam travel tips on money saving, personal safety, sightseeing, and enjoying your trip to the fullest from InfoHub suppliers and community members.
Visa, money, food, weather, transportation
You do not need to go embassy to apply visa, you can get visa on arrival:
Submitted by M11233
- Vietnam $35,
- Laos $25,
- Cambodia $20.
The US dollars are popular in Vietnam, Laos and Cambodia, they accept visa, master card.
... view more rating from $5 - $20 per meal. Do not eat cold food
Popular transportation: Taxi, cyclo, motobikes, tuk - tuk.
Best time travel: Oct - Apr.
Medical aware: malarial rarely in city center, only deep jungle expedition needed.
Things to do in Vietnam
Submitted by M18563 on 2008-10-21
Things to remember:
- It’s in your best interests not to drink the tap water, especially after flooding!
- Avoid cyclo rides after dark.
- Dress modestly and appropriately when visiting local dwellings and religious
... view more sites, etc.
- Leave your valuables behind before a night out on the town, or going to the beach.
- When crossing the road – especially in HCMC – always keep looking to the left and right and walk slowly!
- Don’t offer money directly to minority people – instead donate to a local charity or offer a small gift, such as pens.
- However frustrated, don’t loose your temper (“loosing face”), as it won’t get you very far!
- By all means, sample the delicious street food but for hygiene’s sake only at venues that are busy with a big turnover.
- Always ask permission first before taking photographs, especially in minority areas.
- Arrange for medical insurance (including the provision for emergency evacuation) prior to their departure, as there is no free medical treatment available in Vietnam and the standard of local health facilities is below international standards.
- Keep your entry/exit form (yellow form from airport) as it must be returned upon departure. Lost forms may result in fines or other inconveniences.
- International departure tax is US$ 14. Domestic departure tax is included in the ticket. Children under two are exempt.
Things not to miss in Vietnam
Submitted by M18563 on 2008-10-21
Things not to miss:
- Sleeping out on deck on a boat in Halong Bay.
- Ordering custom – made clothes from the local tailor shop.
- Taking a slow cyclo ride through the French Quarter of old Saigon.
- Eat “pho
... view more ga” (chicken noodle soup) at a street – side noodle stall.
- Watch the traditional water – puppet performance in Hanoi.
- Experience the Full – Moon festivities in the ancient town of Hoi An.
- Drink rice – wine in the minority villages of the north.
- Take a boat along Hue’s Perfume River, taking in the Royal Mausoleums.
- Overnight in a home-stay in the Mekong Delta’s riverside orchards.
- Barter for a bargain at Saigon’s largest market, Ben Thanh.
- Take a stroll through Hanoi’s ancient Old Quarter.
Bicycle Spare Parts To Pack
When traveling with your bike it's important not to overlook packing spare parts! We recommend packing the following, for all bikes:
Submitted by M07701
- Spare derailleur hanger,
- Brake pads - at least one set,
- Spare brake
... view more cable,
- Spare spokes - two of each size on your bike,
- Chain lubricant,
- Spare tubes - at least two,
- Spare tyre - Kevlar beads can help reduce the space required compared to standard steel beads.
- Tyre levers,
- Patch kit,
- Bicycle Multi-tool.
For Mountain Bikes:
- Shock pump,
- Brake pads - an additional spare set (minimum two spare sets all together).
Optional Additional Parts: Spare derailleur jockey wheels.
Sights of interest in Vietnam
Submitted by M19288 on 2009-07-31
We high-recommend Some Top Places to See in Vietnam (Never Miss):
- Hanoi: located in the Red River Delta has many ancient architectural works some of the more famous are the One Pillar Pagoda, the Temple of
... view more Literature, Hanoi Citadel, Hanoi Opera House, President Ho Chi Minh's Mausoleum,water puppet
- Halong Bay: is located in the Gulf of Tonkin and consists of a dense cluster of 1,969 limestone monolithic islands.
- Sapa: situated among the greenery of the high Tonkinese Alps is one of the most enchanting of the Vietnam popular destinations.
- Hue: is located in the central part of Vietnam 660 km from Ha Noi. Some of the interesting architectural sites include the Citadel which is in the centre of the historic city on the north side of the river, temples, pagodas and monuments.
- Cu Chi tunnels: there is an immense network of connecting underground tunnels which are in fact part of a much larger network of tunnels that underlie much of the country.
- Hoian: is an ancient town which lies on the banks of the Thu Bon River south of Danang. All the houses here have tile-roofs and narrow streets and a distinct Chinese atmosphere.
- Nha Trang: is one of Vietnam's most popular seaside resorts, the reason being the seemingly endless empty beaches, coral reefs abundant islands and deserted bays.
- Ho Chi Minh City: (Saigon) is the best place for visiting the wonderful Mekong Delta where life revolves around the river where many people live on the water and depend on the water for fish and rice.
There is much much more to delightful Vietnam than I had have written here but hopefully there is enough for you to find something that interests and inspiration you.
Saving Pockets on Halong Black Pearl Junk
Halong Black Pearl Junk consist of 9 traditional wooden junk boats with Air-conditioners offering daily and overnight on boat cruise to visit Halong bay Vietnam. We do not only sell daily joining group seats for tourists
... view more but also for lease private Junks. If you and group would like to have private junks, please choose one of our junks below and tell us your itinerary, we will make up good price for you with high quality of our services.
Submitted by M20257