You’ll arrive at our shop at 9:30a.m. to get fitted with the latest model, Specialized full-suspension mountain bike and helmet (By the way, we’re not your typical bicycle rental and touring company…we recycle our bicycles every year offering you the latest model bicycles from well-known bicycle manufacturers like Specialized and Trek). After an introduction to the rules-of-the-road and bicycle orientation, you’ll board our van to be chauffeured into San Francisco. If you are spending your vacation in San Francisco, you can meet us at 11:30a.m. at Crissy Field, a park located to the West of Fisherman’s Wharf closest to the Golden Gate Bridge. We’ll bike at your pace for 4 miles through the park, along the outskirts of the Presidio, and then across the Golden Gate Bridge. San Francisco, the mountains, the Bay, Pacific Ocean, and the Golden Gate Bridge will be our scenic backdrops - don’t forget your camera!
After crossing the bridge, our van will be waiting for you. Our next stop will be lunch on top of Mountain Tamalpais with breath-taking panoramic views. Imagine being able to see the Pacific Ocean, southern coastline, San Francisco skyline, Golden Gate Bridge, Alcatraz, the Bay, Treasure Island, the Bay Bridge, Angel Island, and the beautiful mountain ranges all from one spectacular point of destination itself!
After lunch, we’ll enjoy an afternoon of mountain biking. Most agree that Munt. Tam is where mountain biking originated some 20+ years ago and when the day is over, you’ll understand why this sport is so popular now! We’ve carefully selected the most gentle fire roads/ trails we could find. These fire roads, used only by the forest service, offer a once-in-a-lifetime panorama of the Pacific Ocean, Bay, and San Francisco. We'll peddle past huge redwoods, ferns, manzanita trees, and other flora as we make our way down to the bottom of Mt Tam where the van will be waiting.
We’ll end the tour at approximately 5:00pm back in Napa Valley. Our guides will do everything in their power to ensure you have a memorable day.
- Time: 9:30a.m. to approximately 5:00p.m.
- Terrain: Paved roads and multi-use paths over the Golden Gate Bridge, then you’ll be on dirt fire roads used only by the forest service coming down Mount Tam. As implied, you will be coasting more than peddling down Mount Tam
- Speed: Casual, relaxing ride at your pace with frequent stops for photos
- Mileage: 12-16 miles.
- This is a kid-friendly tour (at a minimum children should be able to handle themselves on a trail-a-bike which attaches to the parent’s seat post to create a tandem bicycle).
- We purposely designed this tour to be in the late morning and early afternoon when fog is typically non-existent. However, San Francisco is known to be foggy every once-in-a-while. Thus, fog may limit viewing from a few miles to as little as a block.
Also see tour packages in:
USA California Outdoor: Land Rambler Bicycle Touring