- A great "sampler" trip with 3 "sampler" rapids;
- See a different, even more beautiful, view of Durango;
- Learn the history of Durango;
- Convenient accommodates tight itineraries;
- Packages available including jeep trail tours for the complete Colorado experience!
- Perfect trip for family reunions with all ages;
- Great trip for youth groups – special bonding/team building trips available.
Tour Itinerary 1/2-Day (times for morning trip):
- 8:30 Load bus;
- 8:40 arrive at put-in;
- 8:50 Receive Safety orientation and instruction;
- 9:00 Launch boats and begin rafting;
- 9:05 Hit first small class II rapid "Rock Garden" and slide around rocks;
- 9:20 Optional swim in the lakes – Cool off!
- 9:35 Maneuver through "Train Bridge Rapid";
- 9:45 Hit "Baby Smelter Rapid", a fun class II rapid;
- 9:50 get wet on the Lower Animas’s biggest class III "Smelter Rapid";
- 9:55 Punch through "Santa Rita" hole (missed at high water and with kids);
- 10:00 Rock and roll through the fun "Sawmill Rapids";
- 10:10 here comes "Jed's Hole";
- 10:15 Go through "Split Rocks";
- 10:30 watch out for "Elephant Rocks";
- 10:35 Bounce through "Pinball Rapid";
- 10:45 Enjoy scenery and snack at "Conglomerate Rock";
- 10:50 Marvels at the "Purple Cliffs";
- 11:00 Back on the river for more rafting fun;
- 11:15 Ride through "Lunch Stop Rapids";
- 11:30 take a shot at the oars (we’ll teach you if you like);
- 12:05 arrive at take-out;
- 12:15 Load quality shuttle for ride back to office;
- 12:30 Return to office and check out pictures of your ride through "Smelter";
- Professional, Highly Trained and Educated Guides;
- State-of-the-Art Self-Bailing Rafts with Foot cups;
- All Boating Equipment;
- Safety Orientation and Boating Instruction;
- Coast Guard Approved Life Jackets – Type V;
- Splash Jacket;
- Delicious, Fresh Meals on Full Day Trips;
- Unlimited Water and Lemonade.
- Healthy Snacks on 1/2-Day Trips
- Comfortable Camp Chairs
- Camp Tables
- Quality Shuttle
Additional Provisions Needed (Bring Your Own or Rent Ours):
- Wetsuit boots recommended all season;
- Wetsuits/Wetsuit Boots (Recommended for April, May and June raft trips).
From the south and west, head North on Hwy. 550 past Albertson’s Grocery on left, through the intersection of 9th Street. Go another block then get into the middle turn lane (on the left is a long brown building). Turn immediately after the brown building and the large sign that says "Animas City Rock" and the smaller "Mild to Wild Rafting" sign. It is an alley way, and as you turn down, (before the large "Wine Merchant and Nature's Oasis" sign) you will see rafting buses. Our reservation/check-in office and retail store is located in the back of the long brown building. Our boat barn is located on the river.
When coming from the north, follow Hwy 550 through town and at 14th street and Burger King, veer to the right (do not go straight down to the historic district and Main Avenue). Follow Hwy 550 (also known as Camino Del Rio) a few blocks past the fire station (set back from road a bit), "Back Country Experience" and "Nature’s Oasis" (a natural food grocery store in the King Center. Immediately after the "Wine Merchant and Nature's Oasis" sign and parking lot, turn right down the alley way. As you turn down (before the large "King Center" sign) you will see our rafting buses. Our reservation/check-in office and retail store is located in the back of the long brown building. Our boat barn is located on the river.
What to Wear and Bring:
Wear quick drying clothes like nylon shorts and a swimsuit with shoes that can get wet. Old tennis shoes, Tevas or sandals with a strap around the heel (no thongs). In spring and on high water trips, wool, fleece or any synthetic garment is recommended. These materials stay warm when wet, unlike cotton which stays the temperature of the water. We have wetsuits, fleece and wetsuit boots available for rental in all sizes from small children through large adults (up to 300+ pounds).
Wetsuits & wetsuit boots are recommended on Spring trips through June on rafts (being that the water is only 6 hours old, previously being snow!). Wetsuit boots are recommended all season long.
We also recommend you bring a waterproof camera, eye glass straps, water bottle, sunglasses, sunscreen, lip balm and a sun hat, along with your sense of adventure!
Economy (2 hours) - $29.00 (adults), $23.00 (Children 4-11);
About This Supplier
Also see tour packages in:
USA Colorado Outdoor: Water Drifter Canoeing/Kayaking/Rafting
Email it to a friend:
Click here to email this vacation to a friend