Day 1: Meet at Rotorua at 6.00am, or at the Opotiki Holiday Park at 8.00am and depart by 4WD to the Famous Motu Falls at the Upper reaches of the river, via the Waioeka Gorge. From here we navigate the quieter Upper Reaches of the Motu in preparation of the whitewater action to come. Tonight we camp above the Upper Gorge.
Day 2: Tackle the challenging rapids of the Upper Gorge camping between the Upper and Lower Gorges.
Day 3: Navigate the Lower Gorge rapids.
Day 4: Drift through the bush clad Lower Reaches of the Motu River to the coastal highway.
- All meals from lunch on day one to lunch on the last day;
- All required eating and camping equipment;
- All cooking utensils;
- A large tent fly for shelter;
- Foam insulation pads for sleeping;
- Transport to and from our meeting point at the Opotiki Holiday Park in Opotiki.
- Department of Conservation concession fees;
- Wetsuit, Wetsuit Booties, Lifejacket, safety helmet, Rafts and all necessary rafting and safety equipment;
- Rafting and Safety instructions;
- Experienced Guides.
What you should bring:
Off River - Sleeping bag (or hire one of ours), your own small tent if you prefer privacy (or hire from us), an adequate supply of your own medication (if applicable), personal clothing and toiletries, warm clothes a towel, 2 pairs warm socks, light walking shoes and a torch.
On River - Strap on sandals or Wetsuit booties (which we provide), swimsuit for under your wetsuit and a windbreaker if the day is cold and windy, feel free to bring your own alcoholic beverages but please no glass bottles, pack your gear in a small soft bag, lined with a plastic bag and keep your sleeping bag separate.
Also see tour packages in:
Australia and Oceania New Zealand Outdoor: Water Drifter Canoeing/Kayaking/Rafting Camping
Email it to a friend:
Click here to email this vacation to a friend