- Depart Waikawa for the 90 minute cruise to the outer Queen Charlotte Sound and Motuara Is. Today a bird sanctuary, in 1770 the island was where Capt. Cook raised the British flag and claimed the South Island for King George III.
- A short 10 minute transit to Ships Cove and anchor for lunch off the beach where Cook careened the Endeavour and his sailors carried out repairs, replenished wood, water, and fish supplies and traded with local Maori.
- For those wanting to work off lunch there is the 90 minute walk from Ships Cove over the ridge and do Captain Cook Monument into Resolution Bay. This is the first part of the renown Queen Charlotte Track and is often said to be the most spectacular and scenic section of the whole 67km - four day walk.
- For the less energetic, exploring Ships Cove, viewing the Cook monument erected in 1919, and protecting your valuables from the inquisitive and cheeky Weka's, completes your visit to this most historic and beautiful area.
- Departing for the cruise back to Waikawa, Overture will take you into a number of bush clad bays and inlets as time permits and will arrive back in the marina at approximately 4:30.
The tour cost $1295 this is for a full day (up to 7 hours).
Also see tour packages in:
Australia and Oceania New Zealand Outdoor: Water Drifter Boating and Sailing
Email it to a friend:
Click here to email this vacation to a friend