After arrival, we will welcome you at the airport and transfer your group to your hotel in Lima. Usually we stay a whole day in Lima having time to take a city tour around colonial downtown and to visit the Government Palace, San Francisco Monastery and its catacombs, Plaza Mayor and Cathedral. After we will have lunch by the ocean in Barranco, which is one of the most cozy neighborhoods and where you can still see many colonial style houses and several songs have been inspired.
- Options around Lima: Museums (aprox 2hr each); The following museums constitute the places in which you will be able to recreate a complete scene of the millennial Peruvian past in archeology, history and art. We recommend: Archaeological Museum Rafael Larco Herrera, Museum of the Nation, Gold Museum, Museum of the Congress and Old Tribunal of Inquisition. Pachacamac Ruins (half day). Enjoy Miraflores, the touristic heart of the city.
- Paracas and Ica: Visit the beautiful Ballestas Islands in the morning. Enjoy these incredible islands with allegedly the highest population of birds in the world. Visit the Paracas National Reserve and find fossils as you walk on the dessert. Then you can have lunch on a hidden fishermen village overlooking the bay. In Ica you can enjoy and learn how the traditional Peruvian liquor "Pisco" is made. We will take you to wine houses where you can sample over 10 different drinks that are still made in artesan and industrial factories. You can enjoy the sunset and have fun riding amazing sand dunes in Huacachina!! We will get your adrenaline pumping on board of the sand buggies and you can experience the rush of sand boarding down soft and elegant dunes that extend for kilometers.
- Nazca: Overfly the striking and mysterious Nazca Lines on the dessert. Dozens of drawings that are still a mystery for humankind. Visit the Chauchilla Cementery and walk over hundreds of years of history and tombs! Visit the aqueducts and the "Paredones Ruins".
- Arequipa (altitude 2300mts; 7500ft): Take time adjusting to the altitude and explore this elegant "white" city.. Rocks made out of pillar from the volcanoes surrounding this beautiful city provide the elegant white facade on its architecture. Visit the famous Monastery of Santa Catalina, the marvelous Cathedral, and numerous churches.
- White water rafting in the Majes river (half day)
- Biking excursion around the Campiña of Arequipa (4 hrs)
- Panoramic bus around the Campiña (4 hours)
- Colca (altitude 3600mts; 11,800ft): From Arequipa we will continue our journey towards the deepest canyon in the world. It takes just a few hours and you will see Vicuñas Llamas, and Alpacas running free on the way. The road will go over a pass with an altitude of 4900mts (15,888ft)and the we´ll start descending into the Colca Valley to have lunch in the town of Chivay, where you can sample a variety of typical dishes in a tasty buffet.
In the afternoon we will visit the hot springs at La Calera. You will have over 6 pools for your pleasure and relax. During dinner, enjoy a special show where you´ll see many typical dances from the region! Wake up early in the morning to go to the Condor Lookout. These magnificent birds start flying around 8am but we have to be early to make sure we have the best seats in the house! They take advantage of ascending warm air from the canyon and you can see many of them just gliding over your head, sometimes even just a few meters away!
Options: Visit the towns of Maca, Cabanaconde, and Yanque. Explore their small streets and slow paced lifestyle.
- Puno and Titicaca
- Cuzco and Sacred Valley
Also see tour packages in:
South America Peru History Whiz Archeology/History Cultural Journey
Email it to a friend:
Click here to email this vacation to a friend