Day 1: Arrival at Iquitos Airport and transfer to hotel. In the afternoon, a city tour with your English speaking guide to see the historical places connected with the establishment of Iquitos as a rubber town, followed by dinner at own cost at a restaurant recommended by your guide.
Day 2: Continental breakfast at the hotel.
- 9am. Full day trip with a visit to the Bora Indian community up the river, with a box lunch followed by a visit to the Zoological Park to see anacondas. Return to the hotel for dinner at own cost.
Day 3: Continental breakfast at hotel.
- 6am. Bus to the town of Nauta, where we take the boat to our lodge. On the way we see the two rivers whose confluence forms the Amazon. We also see fresh water dolphins and many species of birds on our voyage.
- 1pm. Lunch at the lodge.
- 3pm. A walk around the camp to get to know it and its surroundings.
- 7pm. Dinner.
- 7.30am. Breakfast.
- 8.30am. Meet the local shamans and take a trip to look at various plants and to learn how the natives use them for medicinal purposes.
- 1pm. Lunch.
- 3.30pm Meet the "shamana" Maria - the only female shaman, who will explain the ancient domination of the Peruvian "cocama" catfish, and demonstrate the spiritual healing properties of various plants.
- 7pm Dinner.
- 7.30am Breakfast
- 9.30am Prepare for camping in the high jungle for one night. In a special place known to the guide, we shall be able to see colored toads, beautiful nocturnal insects, and nocturnal monkeys. The shaman or shaman will perform a spiritual ceremony.
- 8am Breakfast in our camping spot before returning to the lodge. We then relax and/or learn how to make local handicrafts.
- 1pm Lunch.
- 3.30pm Excursion by boat to a sandy beach off which we can swim with the pink freshwater dolphins. On the way we'll see more flora and fauna.
- 7pm Dinner, followed by the telling of historical stories and legends by the two shamans and your guide.
Days 7 - 8:
- 5.30am Excursion to study the local wildlife, in particular the smallest monkey in the world - the pygmy marmoset, and all types of birds.
- 9.30am Prepare for a two day camping trip to the River Yanayacu. This is to see sloths, toucans, more species of monkeys, tamarinds, various types of parrots, herons etc, that all live by the lakes.
Day 9: After breakfast return to the lodge for a day of Amazon culture. We'll learn songs, customs and the indigenous diet and then experience the Ayahuasca ceremony in the evening if wished.
- 9.30am Leave for Tambo Jaldar, our other lodge on the River Yarapa, in the upper Amazon, taking our belongings with us on the boat.
- 12am Arrive at the lodge, settle in and look around the area.
- 1pm Lunch.
- 3.30pm Excursion by canoe around the local lakes to see more birds and the largest floating plants on the Amazon, the Amazon water lily Victoria Regia.
- 7.30pm Dinner.
- 9pm Nocturnal excursion by canoe to see caimans.
- 7.30am Breakfast.
- 8.30am Fishing for piranha in Lake Muringo.
- 1pm Lunch.
- 3.30pm An opportunity to buy native handicrafts in the local community.
- 7.30pm Dinner
- 9.30pm Farewell folkloric dance with local people.
- 6.30am Breakfast.
- 8am Return by boat to the town of Nauta, from where we take the bus back to Iquitos, then to the hotel or to the airport for return flight to Lima.
Also see tour packages in:
South America Peru Nature & Wildlife Rainforest
Email it to a friend:
Click here to email this vacation to a friend