For a longer walk, taking four to six hours, experience the Whirinaki River Road loop track. Begin with a short walk through the forest to the Whirinaki River, then continue along the river track with Mt Moerangi to your left. The loop track trails through the densest Rimu forest found in New Zealand, to the Whirinaki Falls.
All tracks are easy grade. Transport to and from the walk locations can be arranged by pureORAwalks.
The fully guided private four-hour tour includes:
- Relaxed guiding with Maori guides whose ancestors have used the forest resources for centuries.
- Interpretation of the flora and fauna of the natural forest, delivered in pureORAwalks unique style.
- Interpretation of how Maori utilised the resources of the natural forest, including tasting indigenous flavours.
- Storytelling (Purakau) – hear the stories, myths and legends of Aotearoa and local iwi (tribes).
- Morning or afternoon tea, or lunch is provided. Organic and indigenous food options are available on request when you book.
- Cultural Activity – learn how to make Maori handcrafts. Your choice of weaving a flower or armband, carving pumice, or making poi. Choose your activity when you book, and take home your very own taonga (treasure).
Note: Transfers can be arranged ex-Taupo - travelling time depends on location
Also see tour packages in:
Australia and Oceania New Zealand Outdoor: Land Rambler Walking Tours
Email it to a friend:
Click here to email this vacation to a friend