Day 1: The tour starts at 9am from Sani Lodge. We travel the spectacular 4x4 track up the Sani Pass and into Lesotho. From Sani Top, we drive about 50km into Lesotho, over Black Mountain Pass (at 3240m, the second highest road pass in Lesotho) and down the Sehonghong river valley, through rugged scenery. We have lunch by a set of lovely swimming spots in the river, and then head on into typical highland village country.
See the picturesque Basotho rondavels, fields ploughed by oxen on steep gradients, shepherds with their flocks of sheep and goats and Basotho riders, blanket-clad on their sturdy ponies. By early afternoon, we arrive at Matsoaing village, the home of our hosts for a day, Thabiso Nguni and his family. This hospitable family will do their best to help you gain an insight into the unique culture of this mountain kingdom.
The program will include:
- Meeting the family and being shown around the home area
- Being shown your quarters and settling in
- Traditional Basotho dancing and singing
- See traditional Basotho artifacts
- Eating traditional meals with the family
- Stories from Thabiso
- A visit to the local primary school
- A walk in the area and a look at a typical highlands village
- A visit to a local qekha (traditional healer)
- Seeing local agriculture in action
- An optional horse ride hiring horses from local villagers.
Day 2: After lunch on Day 2, we take our leave of the Ngunis and start the journey back to Sani Lodge. We'll stop off for a drink at the Highest Pub in Africa at Sani Top. Return to Sani Lodge by 4.30pm.
Day 3: Stay 2 nights at No.10 Riverside and really immerse yourself in the local lifestyle!! Take your time African style - don't rush things!! Such a special experience deserves more depth and time!
Also see tour packages in:
Africa Lesotho Local Culture Cultural Journey
Email it to a friend:
Click here to email this vacation to a friend