Setting out from Strawberry Fields at Karat, (1400 m asl), you will enjoy three days packed with interesting activities, giving you a widow into the daily life of the local people, allowing you to meet and interact with them in context as you wind your way up into the Konso highlands. Among these are visits to:
- the blacksmiths to (attempt to) make your own knives in Docattu one of Konso’s oldest and largest villages
- a visit to a local seed-saver’s to learn about traditional uses of plants in Konso
- a visit to the tannery in Gera, where your knives will be sheathed and fitted with bone handles
- a visit to the local shaman (medicine man) and the carvers of the famous Konso wakka statues (totems erected to dead heroes)
- meet the pottery women of Sawgumme (2000 m asl), to try your hands at this time-honoured craft aided by the friendly potter.
Mrs Kayola and her daughters, who will take you through the process, from clay mining to the firing of the finished product. Finally you will make the stout trek back to Strawberry Fields Eco Lodge at Karat Konso where you will enjoy a night of local cultural dancing and music with the villagers of Girsale, our local village.
10% discount for InfoHub customer. Request a free gift certificate.
Airfare is not included in the tour price.
- 7 nights accommodation (2 at the lodge, 5 in the field)
– All meals on Set Menu (includes dinner upon arrival and breakfast before departure)
- 3 days trekking lead by local guide
- 6 cultural activities
- All necessary fees and permits.
About This Supplier
Joined InfoHub: May 2010
Client Request Served: 0
We are an oasis of green sitting amongst the dusty hills of Konso, a land of proud and simple, solid folk, with hoary palms and wooden arms, who hoist and toil through their days to push that rolling rock, the wheel of life, ever on and up around, amongst those rocky rugged slopes, on the edge of the Great Rift Valley....
View this supplier profile | Submit your review
Please take this quick survey and tell us, in your opinion, how original is this trip?
Also see tour packages in:
Hiking & Trekking
Email it to a friend:
Click here to email this vacation to a friend
|Check out these similar vacation offers: