We offer an ideal tour for the first-time visitors of this beautiful country. It is an amazing trip that combines nature, culture, history and adventure. The tour starts and finishes in Tallinn, making a circle around Estonia in 14 days. We will pass through different landscapes, take part in various activities (canoeing, etc.) and see many historic and cultural locations and attractions.
- Highlights: Lahemaa National Park, Jägala Waterfall, Kuremäe Convent, Valaste Waterfall, quarry safari, Lake Peipsi, floating village, canoe and raft trips (Ahja-,Võhandu-and Emajõgi Rivers), Seto singers in Värska, memorial of the Forest Brethren, Soomaa National Park, Loodi Valley (Devonian sandstone cliff), Viljandi Order Castle, Kaali meteorite craters, Pädaste Manor, Sõrve Peninsula, Kurisuu karstic cavity, Kõpu Lighthouse, Haapsalu Bishop’s Castle, Tallinn Old Town, etc.
- Length: 14 days/13 nights
- Start-finish: Tallinn
- Transport: small bus, jeep, canoe, kayak, motor-raft, ferry
- Trip style: cultural-natural and water-adventure
- Group size: max 20
- Group leader: tour leader throughout
- Physical difficulty level: 2
- Culture shock: 2
- Accommodation: hotels 3*-5*, manors, tourism farm, camping
- Meals: 13 breakfasts, 3 lunches, 3 dinners
- Departures: weekly, throughout the year.
Day 1: Arrival in Tallinn. Transfer from the port or the airport to the chosen hotel. Free evening to see the city. The cost of dinner not included. Note! Visitors are briefed in the hotels! Accommodation at the hotel.
Day 2: Tallinn – Vergi (Altja). After breakfast, the jeeps pick up the travellers in front of the hotel at 9:30 and head for Kaberneeme harbour (ca 35 km). On the road, we will see various historic and natural sights:
- Jägala Waterfall – a waterfall on the North-Estonian cliff (height 7.8 or 8.1 meters, width over 50 meters). It is the highest natural waterfall in Estonia.
- Jägala stronghold – an ancient stronghold with the largest courtyard area in Estonia (2.7 ha); stronghold built at the end of the 1st millennium; Neolithic settlement site from 3rd to 2nd millennium BC.
At 11:30 we will kayak between the small islands in Kolga Bay – the islands of Rohusi, Koipsi and Rammu (16 km). The trip last around 6 hours (4 hours rowing, an hour by foot and picnic lunch).
At 17:30 we will continue to accommodation site in Vergi (65 km straight) or Altja. On the road, we will see the following attractions:
- Turje cellar – a cave of 18 x 6.5 m and 4 m in height, waterfall during high water periods
- Tsitre cliff - ca 20 m in height
- Hundikangrud – Estonia’s largest group of stonecoffin graves (over 80) from the Early Iron Age.
- Esku chapel – chapel of Sagadi Manor, built in 1845, historicist style.
Dinner in Toomarahva Tourism Farm or Altja Tavern. Accommodation: Altja Toomarahva Tourism Farm. Includes: (B, L, D).
Day 3: Altja – Quarry Safari – Narva - Jõesuu. 8:00-9:00 Breakfast
After breakfast, at 9:30 we will head for the Kohtla-Nõmme Mining Musem (ca 105 km straight). On the road, we will see:
- Vihula Manor – 19th century, ensemble with many buildings
- Toolse Order Castle and hill forth – 15th century, in ruins since the Great Northern War
- Quarry safari + Mining Museum (guided tour), Optional. Lunch (not included). Then we will continue to Narva-Jõesuu, ca 60 km. The route includes the following attractions:
- Independence War Monument – restored in 1942 and 1993
- Hutch memorial – indicates the site where oil shale was mined for the first time for industrial purposes, in 1016
- Kohtla-Järve Oil Shale Museum (optional)
- Ontika Manor – manor building 19th-20th century
- Valaste Waterfall – Estonia’s highest waterfall, ca 30 m, dry during drought periods, observation platform
- Toila Manor.
Accommodation: Hotel Liivarand. Includes: (B).
Day 4: Narva - Jõesuu – Tartu (190 km). Includes: (B). After breakfast, we will visit Narva and then continue towards Lake Peipsi. On the road, we will visit:
- Narva Hermann Castle – castle from 13th-17th century
- Kuremäe Convent, established in 1892-1910, and the Holy Spring with a pavilion and bathing house.
Then we will reach Europe’s 5th largest lake, Lake Peipsi, where we will go for a swim in Kauksi. We will also see:
- Several churches of the Old Believers in Mustvee
- Alatskivi Manor – 18th-19th century, historicist castle was inspired by the Balmoral Castle in Scotland and has many service buildings.
Free evening in Tartu. Accommodationat the hotel.
Day 5: Kavastu – Ujuvküla. Includes: (B, S). After breakfast, we will go to see Tartu. Then we will drive to Kavastu (22 km). After reaching the River Emajõgi in Kavastu, we will board rafts that will take us to the floating village, our place of accommodation. Dinner and sauna.
The new floating village is built on two rafts. The first raft carries a house for meetings, gatherings and accommodation for up to 35 persons. The second features a sauna, toilet and picnic area. The floating village is particularly unique due to its location, which can be changed depending on the season and the water and weather conditions. The mobile complex enables to live on the fen throughout the year.
Day 6: Floating village –Kavastu – Saesaare – Taevaskoda – Värska. Includes: (B, L, D). We will drive to Saesaare (ca 45 km) where we will take the raft Lonny to Ahja River (45 min) and visit Taevaskoda. This is followed by a drive from Saesaare to Värska (ca 55 km) where we will have a chance to enjoy a performance by local Seto singers.
Optional program: Seto Farm Museum – life and buildings of a rich Seto farm, Observation of the Russian border. Accommodation: Värska Spa Hotel
Day 7: Värska – Paidra (42 km) – Võhandu River – Taagepera. Includes (B, L). After breakfast, we will drive to the start of the raft trip in Paidra. We will see:
- A memorial to all Forest Brethrens or partisans (near Leevi) who were killed, the place of death of the last Forest Brother August Sabbe (died on 28 September 1978)
This is followed by a 3-hours raft trip on Võhandu River, finish in Süvahavva. Then we will head for Taagepera (123 km). On the road, we will see:
- Süvahavva exhibition pavilion – presentation of Võhandu primeval valley Kääpa barrows – second half of the 1st millennium, 32 barrows
- Rõuge observation platform
- Kekkonen Memorial and track in Kääriku
- Barclay de Tolly mausoleum
- Helme Manor, sacrificial spring and caves.
Accommodation: Taagepera Castle, Motel Greete, Marja Farm.
Day 8: Taagepera – Viljandi (47 km). Includes: (B). After breakfast, we will drive to Viljandi. Attractions on the road:
- Rutu hill - 146 m, the highest peak of Sakala upland
- Ruins of Karksi Order Castle
- Oti wild apple trees (C = 4.6 m)
- Loodi/Paistu Valley – a narrow valley of up to 20 m in depth, with Mid-Devonian sandstone cliffs, the highest cliff is Loodi Hell (15m), with a maintained recreational site, Viraski Creek flows through the valley, Loodi Manor, 18th-19th century, wooden main building (second half of the 18th century) and steward’s house, woodshed with wooden lacing, quarrystone barns and stables, distillery, dairy plant (19th century), Sinialliku fort hill – a stronghold of the ‘bed-of-Kalevipoeg’ type, 11th-12th century. The town and castle ruins of Viljandi (13th century). Accommodation at the hotel.
Day 9: Viljandi – Karuskose – Pärnu – Muhu Island – Pädaste (B)
After breakfast, we will drive to Soomaa National Park. A choice of optional activities: bog hike with walking boards rides, test drive in a carved boat. Then we will drive from Karuskose to Pädaste (130 km). Lunch in “Kuld Lõvi” restaurant (not included). Attractions on the road:
- Tori outcrop – a Mid-Devonian sandstone cliff of Pärnu deposit (up to 10 m in height and 500 m in length)
- Pulli Stone Age settlement – the location of Estonia’s oldest known ancient settlement site (ca 8000 – 10000 years old)
- Observation platform of Tuhu bog
- Kaseküla barrows – 1st millennium BC, the largest in Western Estonia – two settlement sites, 16 stone barrows and worship stones
- Tammisaare Farm Museum – exposition of sea, nature and life of the residents of Muhu Island. Accommodation: Padaste Manor camping at Nami Namaste (Simiste, Muhu).
Day 10: Pädaste - Sõrve Peninsula – Loode Tourist Farm. Includes: (B). After breakfast, we will look around on Muhu Island and then continue to Saaremaa. We will make a lunch break on the road (not included).
Attractions on the road:
- Muhu hill fort – 100 x 110 m, courtyard 70 x 80 m, from Younger Iron Age (9th-13th century)
- Eemu working windmill – branch of the Saaremaa Museum
- Valjala church – probably the oldest rural church in Estonia (built 1240-1270), in Late Roman style, unique murals
- Valjala hill fort – 12th-13th century, 120 x 110 m, height of walls 3-8 m, the site of the final battle of Estonia’s ancient fight for freedom
- Kaali craters
- Scene of the Tehumardi Night Battle of 8 October 1944
- Sõrve Peninsula
- Vilsandi National Park – includes the island of Vislandi with the surrounding islets and the peninsulas of Western Saaremaa. Many species of seabirds, resting spots of seals Kurevere barrows and worship stones – the largest group of archaeological remains in Saaremaa, 7 worship stones (1st millennium BC), ca 60 stone barrows (1st millennium BC and 7th-12th century). Accommodation: Loode Tourist Farm.
Loode Tourist Farm in Kuralase village is located on the Tagamõisa peninsula, Western Saaremaa. In this farm with the air of the 19th century, you can enjoy extraordinary silence, surrounded only by the sounds of domestic and wild animals. Holidays in the farm are made memorable by the romantic scenery of log houses and the soft heat of the smoke sauna. Pure farm food and spring water. Lodging in old granary houses and in the main farm building. The main building includes a living room with a fireplace. Additional local options: opportunity to smoke fish and drink homemade beer the farm has a campfire area and a swing; the services of a village musician or dance ensemble are available on request. Additional offers: Smoke sauna: 61 EUR, Saaremaa sauna (1 hour): 13 EUR.
Day 11: Loode – Triigi – Sõru – Ristna – Kassari. Includes: (B). In early morning, we will head for Triigi to take a ferry to Hiiumaa. Attractions on the road:
- Kolju (Kalja) Mouth – karstic cavity of 70-80 m in diameter and 3-4 m in depth
- Paatsa hill fort, 12th-13th century.
The ferry will depart from Triigi at 9:30. In Hiiumaa we will drive from Sõru to Ristna (50 km). Attractions on the road:
- Sõru Shore Museum – including the sailboat Ernst Jaakson
- Tohvri coastal defence structures – from World War I
- Coastal defence battalion structures – from World War II
- Kurisuu karstic cavity – Hiiumaa’s largest karstic opening, 200 x 30 m, 6 m in depth
- Õngu windmill – 19th century
- Kaleste village – typical architecture of a shore village in the second half of the 19th century
- Kõpu lighthouse- 3rd oldest working lighthouse in the world
- Optional jetboat rides.
From Ristna we will drive to Kassari (55 km). A choice of optional activities: boat trip to the seahorseback riding, walk on Sääretirp (a long, narrow cape). Accommodation: in Kassari - Mäeotsa Farm, in Käina - Spa Hotel Lõokese.
Day 12: Kassari – Heltermaa (25 km). Includes: (B). We will visit Vaemla wool factory and can see the work process.Then we will take a ferry across Väinameri Sea to mainland (app. 1.5 hours). Rohuküla – Pedase, 76 km. Or laternatively Roosta + activities and beach recreation in Roosta.
Attractions on the road:
- Ruins of Haapsalu Bishop’s Castle, a view of the town from the watchtower
- Barons’ stone – C = 14 m, H = 1.8 m, with names of barons
- Möldre windmill – 19th century
- Harju-Risti church – 15th century, Gothic style
- Vihterpalu manor – beginning of the 19th century, Late Classicist main building, many service buildings.
Activities: kayaking trip to Pakri islands. Accommodation: Hotel Pedase, Vihterpalu Manor, Roosta Holiday Village.
Day 13: transfer to Tallinn (65 km). Accommodation: Hotel Old Town Maestro's 3*. Includes: (B).
Day 14: Departure from Estonia. Includes: (B). After breakfast, check-out from the hotel. Departure from Estonia or continuation of holidays.
Price: from 1790 EUR/per person.
About This Supplier
Also see tour packages in:
Europe Estonia Local Culture Cultural Journey
Email it to a friend:
Click here to email this vacation to a friend