Mago National Park. The park extends towards the south of Ethiopia, on the east bank of the Omo river. With its typical African environment, is mostly interesting because of the wide range of peoples that inhabit it, including the Mursi, Karo, Banna, Dizi, Hamer and Bodi.
Omo National Park. Located on the west bank of the river Omo and running next to the border with the Sudan, in the Kaffa region, is the Omo National Park. The park is little-known, still wild and home to a large variety of animals.
Although not easy to access, it is possible to visit it by trekking through the territory of the Surma tribe, a people of Nilotic origin, similar to the Mursi. Like the Mursi, the Surma women wear a disk on their lower lip and dye their bodies with white-colored decorations.
Day 1: Addis Ababa. Arrival in Addis Ababa Bole International Airport and meet one of our representatives and transfer to Ghion Hotel. Overnight Ghion Hotel.
Day 2: Jimma. After break fast head to Jimma another eastern corner of the country famous for its best kind of coffee and also by its being a home to the original of coffee. On the way visit the dawro people and also admire the Omo River. Overnight Hotel.
Day 3: Bebeka. After early break fast head to Bebeka the first settlement of the Surma people and on the way visit the tea plantation farm in Gumero area. Overnight Camping.
Day 4: Kibish. After break fast in the camping site, make a visit to the near by village of the Surma people and head to Kibish, another settlement for the Surma people which share the same cultural treats with the Mursi people. Overnight Camping.
Day 5: Kibish. Have a full day visit to the nearby Surma villages such as Tulgit. Inquire about the availability of a real Donga stick fight during your stay, prepare for your trekking expeditions (mules, porters, Scouts, etc.). Overnight Camping in Kibish.
Day 6: Magologni. Start in the early morning your trekking to Magologni village. Stop by Magologni hot springs to watch Surma body painting, body scarification, blood drinking ritual etc. Overnight in Magologni trekking camp.
Day 7: Kormu. Trek to Kormu village. See Donga fight and visit the Villages Overnight in Kormu trekking camp.
Day 8: Kibish. Return to Kibish. Overnight Camping in Kibish.
Day 9: Mizan Teferi. After a final visit to the villages and settlements of Surma in Kibish and drive to Mizan Teferi. Overnight Camping.
Day 10: Mizan-Jimma. In the early morning, start driving back to Jimma through the wild coffee plantations. Overnight Hotel.
Day 11: Addis Ababa. Drive to Addis Ababa after having a traditional dinner and Ethiopian night you will be transferred to the airport for your departure.
- Accommodation for entire trip at hotels stated above, including Ghion hotel in Addis Ababa
- Transportation: surface transportation with 4 wheel drive vehicle-2000-02 model Toyota land cruiser with air conditioning, fuel, driver allowance and unlimited km and insurance
- Trekking transportation in the Surma region to remote villages, including mules, security guards, porters, etc
- All cultural rituals in the Surma region, including Donga fight, cow blood drinking
- All entrance fees
- English speaking guide services throughout the tour
- Full board meal with soft drinks (breakfast, lunch and dinner)
- 2 large bottles of water per day for drinking and 6 large bottles of water per day in the Surma area for washing and showering
- Scout and local guide
- All government taxes
- Private cook
- All camping materials in the camping days, including water proof equipment in case of rain.
Also see tour packages in:
Africa Ethiopia Local Culture Cultural Journey National Parks