Extended to Jorasses cirque, and Requin hut (where you will face the Vallée Blanche ice-fall), this glacier trek is the most beautiful stroll for beginners in the Mont-Blanc group, with parts on short and easy "Via Ferrata", glaciers and footpaths, offering all-round views in the heart of Chamonix mountains. Comfortable mountain huts will welcome you each evening during this glacier trek, a original program to hike in Chamonix valley.
- Duration: 4 days, one Mountain Guide for 5 to 6 hikers. Your Mountain Guide is a French IFMGA Mountain Guide, speaking fluently English with a near-native comprehension.
- We equip you, free of charge, with helmet and mountaineering harness.
- This program is particularly suitable for families: normal efforts for children on form, from 14 years, and tapering rates for parents and children taking part in the same program.
- Meeting Place: day 1, Chamonix, by 07.20 am. (except in June and September, meeting time 7.50 am.), at the Montenvers train station (not to be confused with SNCF railway station, located at 200 meters). Do not be late, we will quickly catch a train going up to Montenvers. End of the course: day 4, Chamonix, beginning of the afternoon.
Day 1: The Montenvers train will bring you up to an altitude of 6,263 feet. A short footpath, and a few fixed ladders will bring you down to the glacier.You will then adjust your crampons, and easily cross the glacier towards its right bank where begin the balcony footpath and easy via ferrata leading to Couvercle mountain hut (8,816 feet). Night in the hut. Duration of walking: 6 hours. Difference of level: 3,045 feet up, 492 feet down.
Day 2: Breakfast on the sunny terrace of Couvercle hut. Traverse of Talèfre glacier. Footpath down to Pierre à Bérenger. Easy via ferrata up to Leschaux gullies. Footpath down to Leschaux mountain hut, height 7,730 feet. Night in the hut. Duration of walking: 4 hours. Difference of level: 623 feet up, 1,709 feet down.
Day 3: Breakfast facing the famous Grandes Jorasses North Face. Way down to Leschaux glacier. Nice tour on the glacier. Crossing the Tacul glacier, we reach the left bank of "Mer de Glace". After pic-nic, ascent on a footpath + steep ladders up to Requin mountain hut (8,254 feet), facing the Vallée Blanche ice-fall. Night in the hut. Duration of the stage: 5 hours. Difference of level: 1,706 feet up, 1,181 feet down.
Day 4: Descent to "Mer de Glace". Easy way down on the glacier till the foot of Montenvers fixed ladders, which ascent will bring us back to Montenvers train station. From there, way down to Chamonix in the Montenvers train.
Duration of the stage: 3 hours. Difference of level: 492 feet up, 2,484 feet down. Separation in Chamonix by midday.
- Technical level: you are a complete beginner in Glacier Trek and mountaineering, but you are used to walk through hills and low-altitude mountains. Your Mountain Guide will teach you the basic techniques of mountaineering, to walk safely with your crampons, linked with the rope to the other members of your roped party (two roped parties will be formed).
- Fitness level: you practice twice a week either walking, running, or biking. The average pace is 1,000 feet of rise per hour, with a difference of level climbed each day rising from 492 feet to 3,045 feet. The average time of walking is 4 hours and a half per day.
Also see tour packages in:
Europe France Outdoor: Mountain Ranger Glacier Tours Mountain/Rock Climbing
Email it to a friend:
Click here to email this vacation to a friend