- 9 nights aboard Explorer;
- All meals on board;
- Zodiac and land excursions with our expert expedition team.
Day 1: Depart Longyearbyen in the evening.
Days 2-9: Svalbard Archipelago / Spitsbergen. Each day will be planned to take advantage of local ice and weather conditions. Distances are relatively short in the Archipelago and as there are no ocean crossings, the seas are normally calm. Svalbard is one of the few places on the planet that offers such a wealth and diversity of natural and cultural history sites. During these 8 days we will visit ice covered seas, fjords with breathtaking mountain scenery and glaciers flowing into the sea around us. We will spend time steaming through the ice in search of polar bears hunting seals. Ivory gulls will be a highlight for the birders, while we keep a constant lookout for walrus hauled out on ice floes or on sandy beaches. We will visit, ice permitting, spectacular bird cliffs filled with thousands of murres (guillemots), as well as kittiwakes and glaucous gulls. A little auk colony will also be on our agenda. Our shore stops will be highlighted with flowers nearing, or at the peak of, their bloom. We will have the opportunity to observe and discuss some of their adaptations to what we consider a harsh environment. At one or more of our stops, we hope to see Svalbard’s unique subspecies of reindeer. They are much smaller than their southern relatives, but still carry impressive antlers. We also have the possibility of Arctic foxes. This is also a land of history: from whaling to reaching for the pole, to trapping, coal mining and war. We will visit some of these historic sites. We may cruise in zodiacs along the ice edge viewing seals or walrus, in fjords with glaciers spilling down to the sea or in front of spectacular seabird cliffs. We will have opportunities to walk on shore, observe and photograph the Arctic flora and fauna. As we are in the land of the polar bear, your expedition staff will carry rifles and flare guns on shore for your protection. Krossfjord, Konigsfjord, Monaco Glacier, Hinlopen Straiit, Ny Alesund, Northeast Land, Edgeoya, Hornsund and Bellsund are just a few of the places that we may visit. By not having a set itinerary, we take on an expedition spirit and are free to take advantage of the best that Svalbard has to offer. The evening of our last full day of adventure will find Explorer anchored off Longyearbyen.
Day 10: Longyearbyen. We arrive in Longyearbyen in the early morning for disembarkation.
- Group Leader - 8 Expedition staff/naturalists;
- Accommodation - Onboard Explorer in triple, twin-share cabins, superior cabins or suites, (all with ensuite bathrooms and port holes) (9 nts). Please note that all cabins consist of two beds. Double beds are available in suites, subject to availability;
- Transport - M/S Explorer;
- Meals Included - All meals included while on board the ship, drinks extra.
- Budget - All meals included while on board. Drinks and tips while on the Explorer are extra.
- Read this itinerary as a guide only; our exact route and program varies according to ice and weather conditions and the wildlife we encounter. Flexibility is the key to the success of this expedition.
- Shared triple cabins are same sex cabins only. Males and females can not stay in triple cabins together unless their travelling party has booked all berths in the cabin.
Price quoted for Triple Cabin. Other cabin classes are available.
Also see tour packages in:
Europe Norway Nature & Wildlife Wildlife Viewing Boating and Sailing