Volunteer in Costa Rica, central America 's jewel. While smaller than West Virginia, Costa Rica offers fascinating opportunities at every turn. Whatever your interests eco-tourism, bird watching, adventure, rafting, golf, or just relaxing on the white sands of an unspoiled tropical beach-you'll find thrilling pastimes in this tropical and secure paradise. Playful monkeys, somnolent sloths, crocodiles, countless lizards, poison-dart frogs and a mind-boggling assortment of exotic birds and insects make Costa Rica a travel wonder of the world. IFRE's volunteer program in Costa Rica offers you unique opportunities to explore this great country while serving kids, poor communities, and women's groups.
- Free Spanish Language and Cultural Immersion. Volunteer in Costa Rica: In Costa Rica, IFRE offers free Spanish language classes. However, you can choose to take the Spanish classes or work only in a volunteer project. Language classes will start at 9:00 a.m. and run until 11:00 a.m. each day. The project times depend on the projects. Some begin around 8 or 9 in the morning and some may be more hours in the afternoon. Most home stays will be located close enough to the language school and project to walk.
However, buses are available for neighborhoods that are farther out or for projects that may not be directly in Atenas. Buses charge between 150-500 colones (30 cents to one dollar) depending if it is a bus to the local area or to San Jose. Taxis are also available from 5:00 a.m. to midnight and are relatively inexpensive so most neighborhoods can be reached for under $3. Weekends will normally be open for free time exploration and relaxation. On the weekend, the volunteers can travel anywhere they want. Buses are available throughout the country.
- Costa Rica Volunteer work projects and locations. IFRE Costa Rica volunteer program presently supports local orphanages, health centers, local schools, and NGOs working for different social issues. Volunteer projects in Costa Rica are available in Atenas, Barrio Santa Eulalia, La Garita, and Alajuela. Volunteers can work in any of these volunteer projects in Costa Rica while sharing their experience and compassion with local kids, women's groups, and communities.
You can help in any of these volunteer projects in Costa Rica:
- Volunteer Costa Rica-Work in Orphanage
- Volunteer Costa Rica-Teach in Poor, Rural Schools
- Volunteer Costa Rica-Teach in the Community Center
- Volunteer Costa Rica-Work in Public Health
- Volunteer CostaRica-Teach English in Schools
- Volunteer CostaRica-Work in Conservation
- Volunteer CostaRica-Work in Organic and Sustainable Farming
- Volunteer CostaRica-Save the Animals
- Volunteer in Costa Rica-Women’s Cooperative in the Atenas area
- Volunteer in Costa Rica-Save Land and Fresh Water turtles in the Atenas area
- Volunteer Costa Rica-Turtle Conservation Project
- Summer volunteer and adventure program Costa Rica (4 Weeks).
- Volunteer Costa Rica program: arrangement of room/food/supervision. Volunteers in Costa Rica stay in a home stay. You will have a private room and be fed three meals of Costa Rican fare each day. Our host families have experience working with international volunteers.
Except vegetarian, we do not accommodate special diets. If you will be out of the house during lunch hour, you can request a lunch "to go" that you can take with you or eat out on your own. The home stay families provide typical meals that are traditional to Costa Rica . They try to do their best with vegetarian options, but you must clarify any special needs ahead of placement.
For extra-ordinary requests, you are welcome to buy your own food and prepare it yourselves. Please do not just use the food in the kitchen for your own use. Your host family is responsible to prepare three meals for you each day. If you have other needs for food outside of these meals you can buy snacks and meals at local restaurants and grocery shops. You will be sharing the house, kitchen, and bathrooms with the family members. Many houses in Costa Rica do not have hot water. You will have the ability to do your laundry in the house or the host family may offer to do it for you.
Once the volunteer program starts, our local staff stays in touch with volunteers. We visit our volunteers every 2 weeks (if possible) and you are always welcome at the office. We recommend that the volunteers stop by the office once a week if they are in the local area just to let us know how they are doing with their home stay and project. If your project is very far, then our local staff maintains communication by Email and phone.
- Costa Rica Volunteer Program Fee and Dates: Costa Rica volunteers program starts on the following ( first and third Monday of each month). IFRE is a 501 (C) 3 organization so your program fee will be tax deductible as provided by law. IFRE application fee: US $349. The application fee covers advertising, program promotion, and office expenses (rent, utilities, and staff salaries).
- Volunteer program Fee:
* 4 days: US $499
* 1 week: US $704
* 2 weeks: US $803
* 3 weeks: US $910
* 4 weeks: US $1016
* 5 weeks: US $1273
* 6 weeks: US $1354
* 7 weeks: US $1436
* 8 weeks: US $1567
* 9 weeks: US $1724
* 10 weeks: US $1805
* 11 weeks: US $1887
* 12 weeks: US $1966.
- What's Included in Program Fee:
* Food (3 Meals a day)
* Comprehensive Travel Insurance
* Emergency Hot Line - 24/7/365 from any part of the world
* Airport Welcome
* In country Transportation
* Country Coordinator Support
* Thoroughly researched and personalized projects
* Safe Volunteer Placement
* Volunteer Care and Other Services
* Emergency support
* Certificate of Appreciation/Completion
* Fund Raising Ideas.
- Program Fee for Turtle Conservation Project: Program fee covers free Spanish lesson (2 hours a day up to 3 months), comprehensive insurance, room and food ( 3 local meals a day) for the entire project period with a host family, donation to project, Costa Rica office expenses (rent, utilities, salaries, vehicle), communication, and project coordination. No fee for Spanish language classes. Costa Rica program fee covers 2 hours free Spanish lesson (for up to 12 weeks for beginner and intermediate level students).
- Costa Rica volunteer program free time. There are free times for volunteers during weekends, and volunteering period. Institute for Field Research Expeditions does not offer any program for volunteers during their free time. It is the time of self discovery and learning. However, IFRE local staff will give your free advice, travel tips, and help to book your travel. Costa Rica is one of the most beautiful countries in the world. It offers your tremendous opportunities for travel and exploration.
Also see tour packages in:
Central America and Caribbean Costa Rica Volunteering Volunteering Vacations Cultural Journey
Email it to a friend:
Click here to email this vacation to a friend