Welcome to volunteer Guatemala. For the nature-lover or the history buff, the entire country of Guatemala reads like an encyclopedia of people (both indigenous and those echoing their colonial ancestry), places (ruins of the Mayan Empire as well as quickly-developing cities), and scenery (landscaped brimming with rainbow-colored wildlife and plants). With people as diverse as the ecosystems found within this Central American country, Guatemala is a perfect place to travel and volunteer. Presently, we offer volunteer in Guatemala in Antigua and Guatemala City, the two most vibrant and beautiful cities of Guatemala.
- Free Spanish Language and Cultural Immersion (2 hours a day up to 12 weeks). Your Guatemala Experience starts with Spanish language program. Presently, IFRE offers free Spanish language classes for volunteers joining the Guatemalan volunteer program - volunteering and learning Spanish simultaneously. For example, volunteers can take Spanish classes from 9:00-11:00 AM (before lunch) followed by volunteer activities. However, you can choose to take the Spanish classes or work only in a volunteer project. Alternatively, volunteers may take Spanish classes from 3:00-4:00 PM (after their day's volunteer work). Most of the projects are close to our nearby office (Spanish language center), so it is possible for volunteers do either.
Volunteer Guatemala IFRE currently offers 2 hours of group Spanish lessons each day at both the beginner and intermediate levels. If participants choose to do so, they may continue with the Spanish lessons for the entire duration of the program (maximum of 12 weeks). Also participants may choose to discontinue the classes in order to devote more time to the volunteer project. The Spanish portion of the program is not mandatory, but most projects in Guatemala do require at least a basic to intermediate level of understanding of Spanish - in effect: the more Spanish one learns the better.
- Work in Volunteer Service Projects. Guatemala Volunteer Work Projects and Locations. IFRE's volunteer program in Guatemala currently places volunteers in community service projects in: orphanage, street children project, health care projects, social work projects, as well as English-teaching projects. IFRE's volunteer projects in Guatemala are located in various cities throughout Guatemala, including: Antigua and Guatemala City.
- Volunteer programs in Guatemala include:
* Volunteer Guatemala – Orphanage Project
* Volunteer Guatemala – Street Children/ Children At risk
* Volunteer Guatemala – English-Teaching in rural schools
* Volunteer Guatemala – Healthcare/Hospitals
* Volunteer Guatemala – Social Work.
- Volunteer Guatemala Program: Arrangement of Room/Food/Supervision. IFRE manages living accommodations and three (3) meals a day within host families located in various areas throughout Guatemala - Antigua, Guatemala City , and other areas of the one-time Mayan Empire. Volunteers will receive three (3) local meals each day (occasionally, if volunteers are away from their host families during lunch, they may required to pack their own 'to go' lunches). Host families provide meals which are typical of the Guatemalan diet. While host families do their best to provide vegetarian options, IFRE requests that all volunteers requiring a specific or special diet inform our offices prior to arrival in-country.
For extra-ordinary requests, you are welcome to buy your own food and prepare it yourself. Please do not just use the food in the kitchen for your own use. Your host family is responsible for preparing three meals for you each day. If you have other needs for food outside of these meals, you are able to purchase snacks and meals at local restaurants and grocery stores. You will be sharing the house, kitchen, and bathrooms with the family members. You will have the ability to do your laundry in the house or the host family may offer to do it for you.
Once the volunteer program begins, our local staff members maintain contact with volunteers. We visit our volunteers every 2 weeks (if possible) and you are always welcome at the local office. We recommend volunteers stop by the office once a week if they are in the local area just to let us know how they are doing with their home stay and project. If your project is very far, then our local staff members maintain communication by either email and/or phone.
- Start Dates: Volunteers program starts on the following (first and third Monday of each month). IFRE Volunteers is proud to offer all of the services that our competitors offer at a very special economical price (nearly 50-175% less). We here at IFRE Volunteers do not make 6-figured salaries; and we work very hard and smart to keep costs down especially for you the volunteer where it counts the most. We remain devoted to maintaining both the quality of the program and the safety of all volunteers involved.
Here is a brief summary of the program fee and services that IFRE Volunteers offers:
- IFRE is a 501 (C) 3 organization so your program fee will be tax deductible as provided by law.
- IFRE application fee: US $349. The application fee covers advertising, program promotion, and office expenses (rent, utilities, and staff salaries).
- Volunteer program fee:
* 4 days: US $299
* 1 week: US $514
* 2 weeks: US $634
* 3 weeks: US $754
* 4 weeks: US $874
* 5 weeks: US$994
* 6 weeks: US $1114
* 7 weeks: US$1234
* 8 weeks: US $1354
* 9 weeks: US$1474
* 10 weeks: US $1594
* 11 weeks: US$1714
* 12 weeks: US $1834.
- What's Included in Program Fee:
* Food (3 Meals a day)
* Comprehensive Travel Insurance
* Emergency Hot Line - 24/7/365 from any part of the world
* Airport Welcome
* In country Transportation
* Country Coordinator Support
* Thoroughly researched and personalized projects
* Safe Volunteer Placement
* Volunteer Care and Other Services
* Emergency support
* Certificate of Appreciation/Completion
* Fund Raising Ideas.
Program fee covers free Spanish lessons (20 hours a week for up to 3 months), comprehensive insurance, room and food (3 local meals a day) for the entire project period within a regional guesthouse, Guatemala office expenses (rent, utilities, salaries, vehicle), communications, and project coordination. No fees are charged for Spanish language classes. Guatemala 's program fee covers 20 hours of free Spanish lessons (for up to 12 weeks for Beginner and/or Intermediate-level students).
- Guatemala Volunteer Program Free Time. There are free times for volunteers during weekends, and volunteering period. However, IFRE does not offer any program for volunteers during their free time. It is the time of self discovery and learning. However, IFRE local staffs will give your free advice, travel tips, and helps to book your travel. Guatemala is a travel paradise. It offers your tremendous opportunities of travel and exploration for volunteers. Please discuss with our local staffs for the best option available for you in your free time.
Also see tour packages in:
Central America and Caribbean Guatemala Volunteering Volunteering Vacations Cultural Journey
Email it to a friend:
Click here to email this vacation to a friend