Day 1: Meeting at Sofia airport. Transfer to the city center for overnight.
Day 2: Exploration of the majestic cliffs of Iskar Gorge in the Balkan Mountains. Hiking on the famous Vazov eko trail passing under one of the highest waterfalls in Bulgaria – Bovska Skaklia and to the edge of the cliffs of Zasele village with splendid view towards Iskar valley. We get on the bikes and start cycling on a nice isolated asphalt road for passing through Zimevitsa and Zanoge village continue on a panoramic gravel road descending to Lakatnik region.
We finish at Zhitoliub karst spring and the nearby small restaurant where we can have lunch. After that we do a short hike to the splendid Lakatnik rocks. Transfer to Vratsa for overnight with a quick stop at the picturesque Cherepish Monastery on the way. (hiking: 5km, uphill/downhill: 300/130m; biking: 20km, uphill/downhill: 200/600).
Day 3. Hike to Skaklia waterfall (the highest impermanent waterfall in Bulgaria -141m) and to the top of the rocks to a karst field with great panoramic views. We descend on a steep path in a nice beech forest to the Vratsata rock phenomenon. Short transfer brings us to Ledenika cave for a visit and lunch. Biking on nice panoramic gravel and asphalt road from Parshevitsa place to Vrashets town via Milanovo village. Overnight in Varshets spa resort. (hiking: 5km, uphill/downhill: 300/350m; biking: 35km, uphill/downhill: 150/1000).
Day 4: Transfer to Petrohan pass, visiting Klisurski Monastery on the way. From the pass we ride downhill towards the town of Berkovitsa on a nice dirt road up to an altitude of 1650 m with fine panoramas to the Western Balkan Mountains massifs. Overnight in Berkovitsa. (biking: 40km, uphill/downhill: 300/1200m).
Day 5: Transportation to Kopreh hut. En-route we visit the Lopushanski Monastery. Hiking on the beautiful Kopren eco-trail with numerous waterfalls and water cascades. The route climbs up on the river via some wooden stairs, then goes up through stunning rocks to a beautiful meadow full with flowers and starts descending back to the starting point. Then we continue on bikes on a nice dirt road through picturesque meadows to the town of Chiprovtsi for overnight. (hiking: 5km, uphill/downhill: 400/350m; biking: 12km, uphill/downhill: 100/300).
Day 6: Transfer to Belogradchik. On the way we visit Chiprovski Monastery. Highlight of the day are Belogradchik fortress and Belogradchik Rocks phenomena. We explore them on a bike. In the afternoon we visit Magurata Cave. Overnight in Belogradchik. (hiking: 3km, uphill/downhill: 60/70m; biking: 15km, uphill/downhill: 300/300).
Day 7: Hike in Chuprene Reserve puts the end of the active part of the tour. Transfer to Sofia for short sightseeing tour and overnight. (hiking: 7km, uphill/downhill: 200/180m).
Day 8: Transfer to Sofia airport for departure.
- Accomodation and food: Family-run pensions and guesthouses with en-suite facilities, 7 days on halfboard (breakfast & dinner included)
- Practical information: Hardtail mountain bike “RAM” with 24 gears, 80mm front suspension fork and Sram components. We walk on nice trekking paths or eco trails with moderate level of diffuculty and rocky terrain at some stages. Walking on the eco trails includes climbing up and down wooden stairs and footpaths
- Biking Terrain: we use mainly dirt and macadam roads and some asphalt roads. Routes are with moderate level of difficultiy with short uphills and mainly flat and downhill biking. Steep but short descends on rocky roads included. Most of the days offer an option for easier biking routes
- Recommended Equipment: We strongly recommend you to bring a helmet and cycling gloves (helmets can be rented from us upon request)
Extension at the Black Sea Coast: we have a unique proposal, which gives you the opportunity to stay on a sea holiday for extra week after your active tour at an incredibly low price in Sozopol, Nessebar, Sunny Beach, Lozenets, St. Vlas, Golden Sands etc. and all this with arranged transportation right after your tour and before your departure flight.
- Tour difficulty: Moderate - Tour for experienced hikers and bikers.
Also see tour packages in:
Europe Bulgaria Outdoor: Land Rambler Bicycle Touring Hiking & Trekking
Email it to a friend:
Click here to email this vacation to a friend