Southern Laos is one of Asia's hidden gems. Tranquil and serene, this sparsely populated part of the country is the perfect destination for those who love exploring nature. Five days spent in the quiet countryside and jungle, staying on an isolated island and we think you'll feel a genuine ‘Blend of Calm'.
Day 1: Arrival in Pakse - Boloven Plateau- Don Daeng: This morning, set off from Pakse to explore the scenic Boloven Plateau. Visit some of the area's tea and coffee plantations to see how it is grown and to taste some of Laos' finest blends, as well as several of the region's spectacular waterfalls. Continue to Don Daeng Island where the peaceful waters of the Mekong River and distant hills are the perfect backdrop for a traditional baci ceremony and dinner at the lodge. Overnight at La Folie Lodge, Don Daeng Island. Includes: (D).
Day 2: Don Daeng - Wat Phou - Elephant Ride at Ban Kietngong: Start this morning with a visit to Wat Phou, a three-tiered temple nestled in the foothills. Built by the rulers of the Khmer empire, this spectacular temple is sure to leave you in awe as it sits majestically above the rice fields. Spend the afternoon visiting local Lao villages, riding an elephant through beautiful jungles, and enjoying the diverse wildlife of southern Laos. Overnight at La Folie Lodge, Don Daeng Island. Includes: (D).
Day 3: Don Daeng - Khong Island - Siphandon – Don Daeng: Travel south to the region known as Si Phan Don, or 4000 Islands, situated close to the Cambodian border. Here, the Mekong is at its widest and the small islands that dot the river are the ultimate in calm, tranquil surroundings. Explore the area's waterfalls and local villages, and cruise along the Mekong looking for the endangered Irrawaddy dolphin. Overnight at La Folie Lodge, Don Daeng Island. Includes: (D).
Day 4: Don Daeng: This morning pedal your way along shady paths as you take a biking tour around Don Daeng Island. Talk to friendly locals, relax on sandy beaches, and enjoy the laid back pace of southern Laos life. As the evening approaches, return to La Folie for a swim or relaxing massage. Overnight at La Folie Lodge, Don Daeng Island. Includes: (B, L)
Day 5: Don Daeng - Pakse Departure: Enjoy breakfast at the lodge before transfer back to Pakse to connect with your onward travel plans. Includes: (D).
- Meals as indicated in itinerary. B = Breakfast; L = Lunch; D = Dinner.
- English-speaking national guide
- All entrance fees as indicated in itinerary
- Camera and video cameras fees if applicable
- Land transportation by private air-conditioned vehicles with driver in the itinerary
- Boat and cycling trips as mentioned
- All permissions and local taxes
- Baci ceremony upon arrival.
- Alcoholic drinks and drinks at mealtime + Optional visits + Personal expenses (Telephone, laundry, etc.)
- Visa stamping fee for Laos (visa on arrival, valid 30 days: 30 to 42US$ upon client’s nationality + 1 photo. Passport has to be valid at least 6 months after departure date of the country). Subject to change without prior notice
- Extension visa 2 USD/day/pax. Subject to change without prior notice
- Personal travel insurance (should include helicopter evacuation for Laos and repatriation)
- Personal expenses
- Tips for guide, driver, boat crew and hotels’ porters
- Meals other than those mentioned above
- All air tickets with airport and departure taxes
- Other services not clearly indicated in the Package Inclusion above.
- Minimum price $750 is based on 3-5 persons traveling together
Also see tour packages in:
Asia Laos Nature & Wildlife Ecotourism Boating and Sailing