The tour ends with three days of exciting cycling in the middle peninsula of Halkidiki – Sithonia full with sun, numerous secluded beaches, stunning cliffs, rich island vegetation, olive gardens, palms and peaceful small villages and towns. This tour will show you the changing of the landscape, culture and architecture going from North to South to the Augean sea while you cycle, experience the local village life, swim in the crystal clear waters of the sea and flavor your senses with the local traditional food.
5 and 26 May
8 and 22 September
Other dates upon request.
Day 1: Arrival in Sofia and transfer (2.30h) to Trigrad village in Rodopi Mountains.
Day 2: Today we bike through the stunning cliffs of Trigrad and Buinovo gorge and visit the Devil's Throat cave, housing one of the highest underground and the beautiful Yagodina cave. After lunch we continue cycling through some small villages, potato fields, coniferous forests and picturesque meadows. We end up in Dospat town situated near one of the biggest dams in Rodopi mountains – Dospat. (cycling distance: 50 km; uphill/downhill cycling: 800/700m)
Day 3: We continue cycling westwards to the hot spring resort Ognyanovo making a stop in the architectural reserve of Dolen village. The road goes mainly downhill on nice meadows and coniferous forests and we finish cycling in the hot mineral swimming pools of Ognyanovo. Optional visit of the famous architectural reserve Kovatchevitsa (15 km away from Ognyanovo). (56 km; uphill cycling: 500m; downhill cycling: 1130m)
Day 4. We pass the border with Greece in the bus (1h transfer) and start cycling from Granitis village at 800m. From there we go downhill and visit the interesting Aggiti’s river cave (11 km long). After that we continue cycling on isolated low mountain roads in secluded country regions surrounded by vast pastures with sheep herds, high mountains and passing through small quiet mountain villages with typical greek architecture. The cycling day ends in Alistrati village famous for the nearby cave and canyon. Overnight. (57 km; uphill cycling: 850m; downhill cycling: 1350m)
Day 5: Relax day. After breakfast we visit the beautiful Alistrati cave (1 hour tour) and the Aggiti’s river canyon nearby. Then we get on the bus for a transfer (2.30 hours) to the Athos peninsula (the most eastern finger of Halkidiki peninsula). We stay at Ouranoupoli village near the border of Athos holy land and enjoy the rest of the day for relaxation – walking, swimming in the sea or lying on the beach. We also recommend an exciting 3 hour boat trip to the Athos monasteries. Overnight.
Day 6: Cycling on mountain and coastal roads via small towns and villages from Ouranoupoli to the nice coast town Vourvourou with great beaches and views towards the Diasporos island. The route goes all the way from Athos peninsula to the middle finger of Halkidiki peninsula - Sithonia. Overnight. (69 km; uphill cycling: 870m; downhill cycling: 910m)
Day 7: Cycling from Vouvourou to Porto Kofu on the main coastal road with nice views towards the sea and the interior mountains. You pass by several small villages and have a rest for a swim on the beautiful beach of Kalamitsi. After some 12 km cycling over the mountain you reach the beautiful bay of Porto Kofu village, where you stay overnight. Optional bike trip on dirt roads among olive gardens and farmlands and hike up to the top of a rock with splendid view over rocky coves. (54 km; uphill cycling: 940m; downhill cycling: 850m)
Day 8: Today is one of the prettiest cycling routes of the whole program. You follow mainly isolated roads very near the sea passing by secluded beaches and small sea villages set in rich green vegetation. Enjoy the splendid views of the small islands nearby, the rocky coast and the dense green coniferous forests while you cycle, swim and sunbathe on one of the many lonely beaches en-route. The cycling ends in Nikiti (where we stay overnight. (cycling distance:50 km; uphill/downhill cycling: 500/530m)
Day 9: Transfer to Thessaloniki airport or back to Sofia for departure. Practical information:
- Bikes: You can choose (depending on the availability) from 2 types of bikes: 1 hardtail performance mountain bike “RAM” with road tires, 24 gears and 80mm front suspension fork and 2. quality road touring bike “DRAG” with 21 gears, 28 inch rims and Shimano components.
- Tour Info: All bikers receive route map. The guide with the supporting vehicle and the luggage inside checks several times a day if everything is OK with the group, waiting by crossroads, accompanying them for breakfast, lunch and dinner and giving them talks by the most interesting sites en-route. The guide is also responsible for the technical support of the bikes. Bikers can always skip some harder stages using the supporting vehicle.
- Road Conditions: We mostly use isolated two-way roads (one band per direction) with an asphalt covering. The country roads are quite peaceful, sometimes without any cars. The road surface in these areas may be not very smooth at some stages. The traffic is relatively low but might be a little bit heavier at some sections but only for a short while. In Halkidiki peninsula we use main coastal roads with low traffic in the tour’s active season.
- Recommended equipment: All riders must wear a helmet at all times riding. We encourage riders to bring their own helmets or rent one from us. Biking gloves are also recommended.
- Accommodation and food: We stay in family run hotels and pensions with private facilities, 3 days on Halfboard (Bulgarian stage) and 5 dyas on BB (Greek stage)
- Group size: min. 4 pax
Also see tour packages in:
Europe Greece Bulgaria Outdoor: Land Rambler Bicycle Touring
Email it to a friend:
Click here to email this vacation to a friend