Day 1: Cape Town. Depart Cape Town Station aboard Rovos Rail’s Pride of Africa this morning. Arrive Matjiesfontein this evening; time to explore this Victorian village before dinner and overnight on the train.
Day 2: Kimberley. Breakfast and lunch on board before afternoon arrival in Kimberley. Visit Big Hole and Diamond Museum with historic tram ride. Return to train for dinner and overnight.
Day 3: Pretoria. Arrive Pretoria this afternoon. A light lunch is followed by a city tour. Dinner and overnight on the train.
Day 4: Tau Game Lodge. Arrive in Zeerust for full board, two-night stay at the five-star Tau Game Lodge.
Day 5: Tau Game Lodge. Optional early morning game drive, evening game drive or other activities. Overnight at lodge.
Day 6: Tau Game Lodge, Botswana. Early morning game drive. Transfer to the train for a noon departure from Gaborone, Botswana. Border formalities en route.
Day 7: Zimbabwe. After border formalities, travel through Zimbabwe, with lectures by a historian in the morning and afternoon.
Day 8: Victoria Falls. Arrive Victoria Falls this morning. Transfer from station to the Victoria Falls Hotel. Enjoy a sunset cruise on the Zambezi River followed by African Spectacular Show. Dinner and overnight at the hotel.
Day 9: Victoria Falls. Day at leisure. Optional activities include tour of the Falls, round of golf, helicopter tour of the Falls, more. Depart Victoria Falls late afternoon and complete border formalities for entry to Zambia.
Day 10: On board. Pass through Lusaka, Zambia. Breakfast, lunch and dinner on board with lectures in the morning and afternoon.
Day 11: Kundalila Falls. Arrive Kanona for brunch outing at Kundalila Falls. Depart mid-afternoon. Dinner on board, passing through Mpika and Kasama overnight.
Day 12: Arrive Tanzania. Arrive Nakonde/Tunduma for Zambian/Tanzanian border control. Breakfast, lunch and dinner on board.
Day 13: Mlimba. Arrive Makambako. Descend spectacular pass to Mlimba.
Day 14: Dar es Salaam. Arrive Kiduna and continue journey through Mzenga to Dar es Salaam. Breakfast on board before arrival (scheduled for 10 am).
- January 17-30 (NB)
- July 2-15 (NB)
- July 18-31 (SB)
- September 24-October 7 (NB)
- October 10-23 (SB).
January and February departures only have deluxe suites.
Accommodations on the train are as follows:
- All cabins are equipped with a writing surface and, for valuables, a personal safe
- There is also a bar fridge filled with beverages of the passengers’ choice and room service is available 24 hours a day
- In the en-suite bathrooms, original fittings combine with the modern technology of hot showers, hair dryers and shaver plugs.
- Pullman: These are the newest and most “Spartan.” There are very few of these, and they sell out quickly. They are 76 feet square. A comfortable, daytime sofa-seat converts to double or twin beds (one up, one down) for evening. They also have en-suite, private shower, sink and toilet.
- Deluxe: For years, these were Rovos Rail’s standard cabins, but they are huge and beautifully appointed, in comparison with other luxury trains. There are three to each train carriage. Deluxe suites accommodate two passengers in either twin or double beds and have a lounge area and en-suite toilet, sink and shower. They are about 118 square feet.
- Royal Suites: Royal Suites take up half a train car. Special features include en-suite bathroom with Victorian bathtub and shower, and a separate, private lounge. These are about 172 square feet.
Also see tour packages in:
Africa South Africa Tanzania Zambia Local Culture Railway Trips Cultural Journey
Email it to a friend:
Click here to email this vacation to a friend
US: , ext: 09457
Outside US, please use a number below and enter the extension "09457" when prompted:
UK: 01865 52 2588
Australia: 08 8121 5884
Note: If unavailable, leave a voicemail for the supplier to call you back.