- Group/Private: All airport transfers in Santiago and Atacama are private, and the city tour and vineyard tour in Santiago are private for 4 Star, 5 Star, and Deluxe accommodations.
- Elevations: Santiago is 1,700 feet above sea level, Atacama is 8,005 ft., and Tatio Geyser is 14,107 ft.
- Note: The excursions in Atacama for 4 Star, 5 Star, and Deluxe accommodations are offered on an a la carte basis, meaning you can choose from a number of different alternatives. The itinerary below reflects our suggested itinerary for this portion of your tour.
Day 1: Santiago. Depart to Santiago. Overnight flight.
Day 2: Santiago/ City Tour
After passing through immigration and customs, proceed to the reception area, where our inbound services representative will be holding a sign with your name on it. You will be greeted and then transferred to your hotel. In the afternoon, you will have a panoramic city tour of Santiago, which will include Parque O’Higgins, Plaza de Armas (the city’s historic center), Palacio de la Moneda, ex-National Congress, Mapocho Station Cultural Center, Santa Lucia Hill, the place of Santiago’s founding in 1541,and the Bohemian district of Bellavista. Overnight in Santiago. Includes: (B).
Day 3: Santiago/ Vineyard/ Folkloric Dinner Show
Today you can choose to visit one of the following vineyards around Santiago (included in price): Concha y Torro, Cousino Macul, and Undurraga. A full description of each excursion is shown at the bottom of this itinerary. In the evening, you will have a folkloric dinner show with traditional dancers from northern and central Chile, and Easter Island and Polynesia. Overnight in Santiago. Includes: (B), (D).
Day 4: Santiago/ Atacama/ Moon Valley
Morning transfer to the airport for your flight to Calama. Upon arrival, you will be transferred to your hotel in San Pedro de Atacama. In the afternoon, you will have a half-day excursion to the ‘Moon Valley’, which will include visits to the Valle de Marte, overlook of the Salar de Atacama, Valle de la Muerte, and Tres Maria. The Highlight of this excursion is a view of the sun setting over the desert valley. Overnight in San Pedro de Atacama. Includes: (B).
Day 5: Atacama/ Quitor/ Tulor/ Atacama Salt Lake/ Toconao
The Atacama Desert is the driest place on Earth, and is considered to be the archaeological capital of Chile. The dryness of the climate has preserved relics of the various cultures inhabiting the region. You will visit the Gustavo Le Paige Archaeological Museum, which displays a large collection of artifacts unearthed by Father Gustavo Le Paige, a Belgian priest and archaeologist, and local villagers. After the museum, you will visit the Pucara de Quitor, an Atacama Fortress from the 12th century, and Tulor, one of the oldest human settlements of the region, known for the circular construction of its houses.
In the afternoon you will have a half-day excursion to the Atacama Salt Lake and the oasis town of Toconao. The Lake is an important nesting site for three species of flamingos, and contains 40% of the world’s lithium reserves. Toconao is known for its Liparita (volcanic) stone houses and the Church and bell tower of San Lucas, which dates to the mid-18th century. Overnight in San Pedro de Atacama. Includes: (B).
Day 6: Atacama/ Tatio Geysers/ Puritama Hot Springs
Early morning (4:00 AM) you will depart for an excursion to the Tatio Geysers, the world’s highest geyser field at 14,107 ft. above sea level. The steaming fumaroles, which reach a height of 160 ft., are a sight to behold, especially at sunrise, against the backdrop of the altiplano. In the afternoon you will visit the Puritama Hot Springs, which will be much appreciated after an early rise and day of exploration. The mineral rich waters are 95 degrees Fahrenheit. Overnight in San Pedro de Atacama. Includes: (B), (L).
Day 7: Atacama/ Santiago. Afternoon transfer to Calama for the return flight to Santiago and your final destination. Includes: (B).
- 4 Star accommodations in Atacama are all inclusive except the only meal included is daily breakfast.
- 5 Star and Deluxe accommodations are all-inclusive in Atacama.
- Passport/Visa: U.S., Australian, Canadian, and EU (except Greece and Romania, which require a visa) citizens require a passport valid for at least six months from date of entry and return ticket for stays of up to 90 days. U.S., Australian, and Canadian citizens are required to pay a reciprocity fee (considered a multiple entry visa) of $131, $61 and $132 respectively in cash upon arrival (subject to change without notice due to currency fluctuations or other reasons). Citizens of other countries are advised to contact the Chilean embassy in their country before traveling.
- Travel Insurance: In order to protect your travel investment from unforeseen circumstances that may arise before or during your trip, we strongly recommend that you purchase travel insurance. We offer Access America’s Classic Comprehensive and other plans. Call your travel counselor if you have any questions or to purchase a plan.
- To Book This Trip: We require a non-refundable deposit of $500 per person. 4 Star, 5 Star, and Deluxe accommodations require a more substantial non-refundable deposit. Ask your travel counselor for the details.
About This Supplier
Also see tour packages in:
South America Chile Local Culture Cultural Journey Desert Expeditions
Email it to a friend:
Click here to email this vacation to a friend