Day 1: We start in Santa Elena and after 40 minutes we reach the Jaspe waterfall. Here the water cascades onto shimmering red rocks that form the river bed and boulders - have your camera at the ready! The natural waterslide of Soruape is up next, followed by a hearty lunch. In the afternoon we will see some fascinating insect-eating plants and visit a viewpoint that looks over six flattop mountains or tepuys. Accommodation for the night is next to the 55m high Kamá Falls, where we stay in beds with mosquito-nets.
Day 2: From Kamá-Merú we travel to the Kawi-Merú: Two magical waterfalls in the jungle where you can jump from eight meters into the cool water. We eat lunch in the Indian village of San Francisco de Yuruaní and in the afternoon, depending on the water level, we walk behind the ‘ La Cortina waterfall’. An unforgettable experience for adrenaline addicts! Then we drive.
Day 3: Today we drive to El Pauji, 75 km west of Santa Elena, home of the famous "El Abismo". We climb for 20 minutes up into the mountain before continuing to a viewpoint over the Venezuelan and Brazilian rainforest. You won’t forget this absolutely breathtaking panorama! After another 20 minutes walk through the jungle, we reach a cave full of bats, its entrance covered with ferns, orchids and moss. The complete walk takes about 3,5 hours. After a fabulous lunch we take a refreshing bath in the emerald pool in the woods. We are back in Santa Elena by around 7pm.
Suggested Items to Bring:
- Hiking boots and socks
- River shoes or sandals with good tread and closed toes
- Light cotton trousers, shorts, tee shirts, long-sleeved shirt
- Rain protection (poncho)
- 2 bathing suits, one towel
- Sun protection/sun block
- Head protection - baseball cap, hat or scarf
- Insect repellent (suggestion - Johnson's Baby Oil, alcohol and/or “deet”)
- Small flash light and spare batteries
- Small backpack for daily essentials
- Camera with plenty of film and a spare battery is advised!
- Plastic bag for your wet clothes.
Also see tour packages in:
South America Venezuela Nature & Wildlife Rainforest
Email it to a friend:
Click here to email this vacation to a friend