The Ngorongoro Crater, which is the world's largest unbroken, un flooded volcanic caldera. The Crater, which formed when a giant volcano exploded and collapsed on itself some two to three million years ago, is 610 m (2,001 ft) deep and its floor covers 260 km² (102 square miles). It is home to a population of approximately 25,000 large animals, including the black rhinoceros (about 11-15 exist in the crater), hippopotamus, wildebeest, zebra, eland, Grant's and Thomson's gazelles. The crater has the densest known population of lions, numbering 62 in 2001.
Join us for an exceptional wildlife safari to the Serengeti, Lake Manyara, Ngorongoro Crater and Olduvai Gorge commonly referred to as "The Cradle of Mankind." It is a steep-sided ravine in the Great Rift Valley one of the most important prehistoric sites in the world and has been instrumental in furthering understanding of early human evolution. Excavation work there was pioneered by Louis and Mary Leakey in the 1950s. Each trip is 7 full days on the ground and includes 1 rest day, a 6-day, Lodging before and after your safari is at a private hotel in Moshi, Tanzania.
- Dates : September: 12-21
- Dates for next year: January: 8-17
- Additional dates maybe available by arrangement with 4 or more
- Trips are 8 days on the ground/ plus 2 air travel days
- Departure city: Moshi, Tanzania (Kilimanjaro International Airport)
- Experience level: for hikers/ trekkers in good to excellent condition
- Optional Mount Kilimanjaro climbs are available.
*Note: Price subject to change until booking due to international exchange rates.
Also see tour packages in:
Africa Tanzania Kenya Nature & Wildlife National Parks Volcano Tours