Topics include route planning and preparation, navigation (map/compass, altimeter, GPS), objective hazards, and mountain medicine. An introduction to the technical equipment used in alpine mountaineering, (harnesses, ropes and hardware), basic rock climbing techniques, anchor systems, belaying and rappelling. Instruction in the use of ice ax and crampons, (German and French crampon technique), self arrest, snow anchors, roped team travel, and glissading. We will put our skills to the test by attempting a 13,000 ft. peak in the Palisades via a 3rd/4th class route.
- Dates :
* July: 6-10/ July 5-9
* August: 10-14/ August 9-13
* September: 2-6 (Labor Day) / September 1-5
* October: 7-11/ October 6-10
- Guide to client ratio: 1:3
- Experience level: backpacking experience needed, no previous mountaineering experience required.
Airfare is not included in the tour price.
*Note: Additional dates maybe available by arrangement with 3 or more.
Also see tour packages in:
Outdoor: Mountain Ranger