Day 1: Machame Camp
- Machame Gate (1634 m/5,363 ft) to Machame Camp (2834 m/9,300 ft)
- Hike time: 7.5 hours
- Elevation change: +1200 m/+3937 ft
- Estimated distance: 10km/6.21 miles
- Final elevation: 3100 m/10,170 ft.
The trip begins at the Machame Gate where we sigh-in, organize the gear with the porters and begin our climb around mid-day. Today is a nice leisurely hike through the tropical rain forest.
Day 2: Shira Camp
- Machame Camp (2834 m/9,300 ft) to Shira Camp (3749 m/12,300 ft)
- Hike time: 7.5 hrs
- Elevation change: +800 m/+244 ft
- Estimated distance: 6km/3.75 miles
- Final elevation: 3800 m/12,467 ft.
From the Machame Camp, we cross the stream onto its west bank and follow the path up the steep rocky ridge- crisscrossing a few times before reaching Shira Camp at the base of a same-circular wall of rocks. We will have ascended 900 meters (3, 000) in 5-7 hrs and about 6 km (3.72 miles) of walking.
Day 3: Barranco Camp
- Shira Camp (3749 m/12,300 ft) to Barranco Camp (3901 m/12,800 ft)
- Hike time 5hrs
- Elevation change: +100 m/+328 ft
- Final elevation: 3900 m/12,800 ft.
From Shira Camp, we hike to Lava Tower (15,000) to acclimate and then proceed down to Barranco Camp via the great Barranco Wall. Tonight’s camp is one of the best on the mountain.
Day 4: Karanga Valley
- Barranco Camp (3900 m/12,800 ft) to Karanga Valley (3963 m/13,000 ft)
- Time 3.5hrs
- Elevation change: +100 m/+328 ft
- Estimated distance: 4km/2.5miles
- Final elevation: 3963 m/13,000 ft.
From Barranco Camp, we climb up through the edge of great Barranco Wall. It’s a tough morning climb a steep trail, but once we reach the top, the views are wonderful.
Day 5: Barafu Camp
- Karanga Valley (3963 m/13,000 ft) to Barafu Camp (4,600 m/15,091 ft)
- Time 3.5 hours
- Elevation change: +600 m/+ 1968 ft
- Estimated distance: 4km/2.5 miles
- Final elevation: 4,600 m/15,091 ft.
Today is a shorter hike than the past few days, hiking up to the final camp before we get ascent. Today is the best day to get lost of rest. 95 percent of the walking today will be above elevation of 4250m.
Day 6: Uhuru Peak – Mweka Camp
- Barafu Camp (4, 600m/15,091 fit) to the Summit (5896 m/19,343 ft) and then to Mweka Camp (3100 m/10, 10,170 ft)
- Hike time: 7 hours
- Elevation change: +1300 m/+4265 ft
- Estimated distance: 5km/3.2 miles
- Final elevation: 5896 m/19343 ft.
We will start trekking early before sunrise (1-2 am) as we walk today, we will take 10 – 14 hours. We will try to avoid the mist that sets in later in the day. The 1,100-meter (3,600) ascent in just over 3km (1.86 miles) will take us about 6-8hrs, as we try to reach the summit to watch the sunrise over the Great Rift Valley. After watching the sunrise, we will have a tough hike, descending down the mountain to below the tree line.
Day 7: Mweka Gate - Moshi - Arusha
- Mweka Camp (3100 m/10,170 ft) to Mweka Gate (1828 m/6, 00 ft)
- Descent time: 4 hours
- Elevation change: (1250 m/4101 ft)
- Estimated distance: 10km/6.21
- Final elevation: 1828 m/6000 ft.
On your final day we will have a short three hours hike out, walking through the lush forest. We will have lunch, and meet your vehicle at Mweka park gate and drive back to Moshi or Arusha town.
Also see tour packages in:
Africa Tanzania Outdoor: Mountain Ranger Mountain/Rock Climbing Hiking & Trekking
Email it to a friend:
Click here to email this vacation to a friend
US: , ext: 19371
Outside US, please use a number below and enter the extension "19371" when prompted:
UK: 01865 52 2588
Australia: 08 8121 5884
Note: If unavailable, leave a voicemail for the supplier to call you back.